Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired Vouchers

Options
  • 09-10-2006 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I have some vouchers that I just realised have expired.
    They are valid only for 12 months.
    Do I have any rights here to get them reissued or a refund?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In short - nope. If they've expired, then they're gone. Money down the drain.

However, some stores do still allow you to use them. Phone the store and check, but be prepared for the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

bummer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you (or someone else) paid for them then the store should honour them in some way. Go in and talk to a manager, give a reasonable excuse as to why you didn't use them in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

No rights when the voucher has expired but most places that issue vouchers will allow a few weeks, even months grace.

I have powerscourt springs voucher from December 2004 and am using it in November - 11 months after expiry! I suppose it would also help if you are buying more than the voucher states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

loyatemu wrote:
    if you (or someone else) paid for them then the store should honour them in some way. Go in and talk to a manager, give a reasonable excuse as to why you didn't use them in time.
    The store shouldn't do anything. They put an expiry there for a reason. But yeah, it's worth asking... some stores MIGHT honour them, simply through good customer relations and not through any legal right you may have.

Though it shouldn't be considered poor customer relations if they don't cash them.

Am I still talking? Right ... I'll shutup now ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I worked for Quality Hotels (Clarion + Comfort Inn + etc) for a while, and if someone rang with expired vouchers they would usually ask for them to write a formal letter and then provide them with new vouchers.

So, at the very least, just ask.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

folks, to stop this happening when you have a voucher close to expiry and there's nothing you want to purchase, just use it to buy another voucher which will come with a new expiry period

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

slave1 wrote:
    folks, to stop this happening when you have a voucher close to expiry and there's nothing you want to purchase, just use it to buy another voucher which will come with a new expiry period
    You generally can't buy a voucher with a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ciaranfo wrote:
    You generally can't buy a voucher with a voucher.
    Yes, but in some odd cases you can buy and item and exchange it back for a voucher!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

What??

Unless it was a prize donated by the shop or business, they are required to replace the voucher with a new one once it goes out of date.

The expirey date is there to discourage its use after that date, but they cant legally turn you away after they've received money for the voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

BizzyC wrote:
    What??

Unless it was a prize donated by the shop or business, they are required to replace the voucher with a new one once it goes out of date.
    No they're not, unless they've stated that in their own T&Cs
    BizzyC wrote:
    they cant legally turn you away after they've received money for the voucher.
    Yes they can. A Gift voucher is not legal tender, and is subject to the retailers T&Cs. If it stated a 12 mth expiry on it, they are within their legal rights to enforce it, and the customer has no comeback whatsoever. They are extemely luctrative for the retail business as there's always a sizable percentage that go unredeemed.

http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/refund.cfm
    It is at the sellers' discretion as to how long a voucher is valid.
    If the seller is not willing to extend the time frame, that is their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

whiskeyman wrote:
    They are extemely luctrative for the retail business as there's always a sizable percentage that go unredeemed.

the shop also gets the money well in advance of having to hand over the goods, so they're a win-win situation for retailers. For this reason they should honour them even if they are expired (within reason). They may be under no legal obligation, but not doing so would demonstrate a fairly sh1tty attitude to paying customers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A large number of shops won't allow you to use an expired voucher.

You should always check the dates, and use them in good time. Otherwise, it's your own fault and your loss.

Advertisement