Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Buddhist ?

Options
  • 09-10-2006 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am on a path and on my path I found Buddhism. I did not know much about Buddhism until I began to read this PDF two days ago. I did not know that Buddhism does not praise a God and I have always believed that there is not a God. I'm going to be honest and say that reading that PDF was like the path I am on suddenly had a direction. As before I know I was on this path but I didn't know where is was leading.

As I said I did not know much about Buddhism until the last few days but reading that document was like looking at myself. I found myself fully connecting in the way of Buddhism, it's like I am already a Buddhist.

I found that the words of Buddha are extremely logical and straight forward.

I would like to know what should I do know in regards of learning/practicing Buddhism more? and is there a system I need to know to becoming a Buddhist?

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

BreadBoard wrote:
    I would like to know what should I do know in regards of learning/practicing Buddhism more? and is there a system I need to know to becoming a Buddhist?
    Thank You.
    That was an nice PDF, good answers there. Page 53 talked about becoming a Buddhist and I agreed with the answers. It is more a process and sounds like you are well on your way. Finding a temple or group to join would be a great plus, where are you? Asking questions here is another great way. Do you meditate, that is probably one of the best ways as it will help you find inner clarity, and so be able to better chose a direction. I guess the important point to remember is that Buddhism does not seek converts. We all find our own way to it. There are many branches to the tree of Buddhism and this can get confusing. That's why I recommend meditation, and questioning others on what they follow, believe or practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Yes, I am still reading the PDF right now, I'm on page 54 and just read the section on the steps on becoming a Buddhist :)

I am in Dublin. I'm going to try some meditation this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

This is kind of off topic but i have been to a lot of different countries and the most kindest and and peacefull people are buddist and islamic people,its a holiday in itself just spending time with people that practice buddhism.

Sorry for the rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

You don't need to apologize. Your only expressing your opinion and I'm sure it is welcomed as I welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

This is kind of off topic but i have been to a lot of different countries and the most kindest and and peacefull people are buddist and islamic people,its a holiday in itself just spending time with people that practice buddhism.

Sorry for the rant
    Rant! I would call it praise:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thanks for the link! it's a good read :)

;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The Dalai Lama has written some great books

/edit
    The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is also a good read

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

I'd also recommend 'The Tibetian book of living and dying' by Soygal Rinpoche. He's also the head of a Buddhist group 'Rigpa'. Give it a google to see if there's a group near you. :)

as for ranting imeddyhobbs? don't be hard on yourself :@)

Advertisement