Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention: Smart Broadband Customers

Options
  • 08-10-2006 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

With all the rumours flying around I just want to clarify what I believe is happening in terms of smart broadband! Smart Tels bband services will remain active as all their customers dont have eircom numbers, that is they are connected to smart equipment in the exchange which is thus connected to smart's fiber network. Therefore smart don't owe rent to eircom for these numbers and eircom cannot touch them. If smart is taken over, highly likely, the broadband will stay in operation as it has been highly successful and miles ahead of other providers ( 6Mbs Download & 512kbps Uploadfor €35 / month with free line rental, No Contention, No Download limits). The vast majority of customers are very happy with the service!

It's better to sit tight than pay another provider for poor connection speeds and bad service!

One Request.

Could all smart Broadband customers reply on this thread to state that their opinion of the service.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bertebug

i signed up for bt on thursday but had a change of heart on friday. Rang bt on friday and cancelled and e mailed them as well. however i had posted on thursday the form requesting transfer to bt. from what i have read on bt i am a little worried they will go ahead anyway. i have no complaints with broadband service from smart compared to what i hear from others its excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I got the Smart package over a year ago and it's been solid as a rock, barring the recent disruption by Eircom; all back to normal now. I'd recommend them above any company I've dealt with before - cheaper/faster than Eircom and service quality/customer service decades ahead of BT.

On Friday, Smart sent this to me
    Smart Telecom is pleased to announce the restoration of services to our
    Broadband customers.

Smart's Broadband customers should now have inbound and outbound voice
    services restored.

It has come to our attention that some of our broadband customers have
    lost access to our broadband services over the past two days. We aim to
    contact these customers directly in the coming days with a view to restoring
    our service as soon as possible.

We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise to all our
    customers for any inconvenience caused during this difficult time and as a
    token of our appreciation for your continued support, we are increasing
    the speed of your existing broadband product by an additional 3Mbps to
    6Mbps.

This upgrade will take place during the next 24 hours and will be
    available for the remainder of 2006.

We look forward to providing you with our exciting products for many years
    to come.

Steve Witcombe
    Head of Customer Care

EDIT: mcirl2, do you have any affiliation with Smart? It's just that your post seems unusually knowledgable about the prognosis and you don't have much of a post history to look at.
    I've no problem if you do or don't, just asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭mcirl2

edanto wrote:
    I got the Smart package over a year ago and it's been solid as a rock, barring the recent disruption by Eircom; all back to normal now. I'd recommend them above any company I've dealt with before - cheaper/faster than Eircom and service quality/customer service decades ahead of BT.

On Friday, Smart sent this to me

EDIT: mcirl2, do you have any affiliation with Smart? It's just that your post seems unusually knowledgable about the prognosis and you don't have much of a post history to look at.
    I've no problem if you do or don't, just asking.

I've no affiliation with smart but I used to work for the Tech support when they outsourced it to my company so I was there at the start so know how the whole thing works.

1 question - did you have to change your number to get the broadband with smart?

I did but I have had no disruptions in the past week.

I'm NOT being paid by smart or anything but even if I never worked for them, their service is brilliant and dead cheap.

I agree with you comletely about the quality and price of their service.

I didn't have to change number - but only because there wasn't a line we were using into the flat where I got the Smart service. What I did have to do was just the standard 'get a new line and wait for it to be released to Smart'.

Immediately after that I was besieged by Eircom trying to lure me until I told them to get lost in such a way that they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Smart BB ftw!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭mcirl2

edanto wrote:
    I agree with you comletely about the quality and price of their service.

I didn't have to change number - but only because there wasn't a line we were using into the flat where I got the Smart service. What I did have to do was just the standard 'get a new line and wait for it to be released to Smart'.

Immediately after that I was besieged by Eircom trying to lure me until I told them to get lost in such a way that they did.

so when you got ur line activated, you first had to call eircom + they provided you with a number.

Then as soon as you got that line activated + the number you called up smart and ordered the broadband.

They connected you and the number stayed the same. Is that what happend yeah?

I had to call smart to order. They changed my number from my eircom number to a smart number + then got bband.

Im just want to know does that process still go on or can you keep your old number - that would explain only some bband customers getting cut off while others were not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Have Smart BB aswell. Service is great now, despite two or three months of connection hell when I first signed up thanks the their customer support (or lack of). It was well worth it in the end though, no regrets about switching.

I did have to change phone number though, aswell as having to move from Smart CPS to Eircom in order for Eircom to process the LLU request from smart. Again, no regrets about having to do this as it was worth it!

Sorry, I meant I didn't have to go through the trouble of telling everone that I had a new number.

The number Smart gave us was different to the new number that had Eircom issued - so I was wrong above, we did have to change our number.

It just didn't have any effect as I had never given out the first number that Eircom gave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

mcirl2 wrote:

One Request.

Could all smart Broadband customers reply on this thread to state that their opinion of the service.

Thanks

NO LINE RENTAL
    Fibre Optic Network.
    No line contention.
    No cap.
    Higher speeds then any other provider (at Smarts current price)
    Their own, on-line forum (Volentarily manned by very knowledgeable people)
    The above being a priceless asset to anyone having questions regarding any assistance they might need.
    No outlandish premium rate call charges for support, if you need help from Smart, just use the forum.

Anyone starting to get the idea yet?

Smart are the number one provider to the Broadband community in Ireland.

And that my friends is why, "that other shower felt the need to take the law into their own hands"

Smart subscribers, are SMART.

You can be too!

Join Smart today. :cool:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've been using Smart BB for about 7 or 8 months now, with no problems whatsoever, apart from the Aolynk router needing a reboot occasionally.

It's been a great service, and long may it continue. Even better now that the speeds have increased! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane™

Just signed up to smart, mainly due to what eircon did I don't think I could bring myself to give that shower more money. - I wonder will I get the 6meg connection

I was with BT, I had to reset the modem as well sometimes, it was an ok service I just had to stop giving money to a very corrupt company.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Was with eircom for years..No complaints, every thing worked perfect
    but I must admit to getting slightly pissed off with Line rental...euro25.00 for a line..then Broadband for euro30 (2mb) capped...and the massive cost of phone calls.....approx 20-40 Euro a month (lets say 30)

So went with Smart for 35.00 a month..had to wait for about 5 weeks to changover, but since then great:
    New number, not a big deal as I use Voip..Cheaper..Faster..and Not capped

Because of whats happening, will also get wireless as a back up (Digiweb - 20 euro) to keep my better half happy
    All my phones call go through Blueface for 99 euro a year unlimited to Ireland and Uk (approx 9 a month)

so from a total cost of appox 1000 Euro with eircom
    to 770 with Smart AND Digiweb And Voip for a faster system (with failover in case some wa%^ker pulls a cable) or just 528 for Smart and Voip :D

Remember - these calculations are not spot on, but you get the drift

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mcirl2 wrote:
    With all the rumours flying around I just want to clarify what I believe is happening in terms of smart broadband! Smart Tels bband services will remain active as all their customers dont have eircom numbers, that is they are connected to smart equipment in the exchange which is thus connected to smart's fiber network. Therefore smart don't owe rent to eircom for these numbers and eircom cannot touch them.

If eircom can't touch them then why is my brothers smart BB and phone still down this weekend? Eircom actually own the line and Smart have to pay rent on it.

Still the Smart BB has to be the best there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Just a note to concur with other posters.

The changeover was bit nioghtmareish, but once connected, i have been a happy smart BB customer, and i wll stick with them as long as they are in business.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Smart Broadband is far and away the best out there. The cheapest,confirmed by comreg on their callcosts.ie website,free line rental,3mbs with no usage cap and to top it off they've kindly upgraded to 6mbs everyone who had sense not to panic and sign forms as soon as eirscum pushed them into their face.I done a lot of comparing of Smarts service to the other broadband providers while the future was in doubt and Smart easily puts them all to shame.I was truely depressed looking at the crap services on offer that I might have to switch to.Thankfully that hasn't come about

Long live smart Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

fine if uhave it
    but this what the rest of us get

Your phone number 01blah is serviced by the blah exchange.
    This exchange is not on the Smart Broadband Network Build Programme.

Please check back again at a later date

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

ircoha wrote:
    fine if uhave it
    but this what the rest of us get

Your phone number 01blah is serviced by the blah exchange.
    This exchange is not on the Smart Broadband Network Build Programme.

Please check back again at a later date

The Smart support site [URL="httphttp://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php://"]here [/URL] should be your next stop. Go see and maybe even register and start a thread or join this one . You never know. You might find a lot of interest in your area and you might even steer the truck your way. Theres no harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I hate to tempt fate, but my Smart BB hasn't gone down once since the problems with Eircom.

I moved to Smart from Irish Broadband (complete kak).

The service has been fantastic since I moved. I haven't noticed it being slow/down once. 3.4Mbps down at the moment, and 495Kbps up.

It's a bargain at 34.99 a month. Can't recommend it enough.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Cant recommend it enough either. :D

Advertisement