Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An 'Affordable' 8 String bass anyone?

Options
  • 08-10-2006 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Normally when you're looking at basses that have more than 5 strings, it not only becomes rare, but also expensive. If you've got more than 6 Strings, then it's usually some insanely expensive custom Conklin that'd cost the price of a car!

Well, I've noticed some monstrous basses popping up on ebay, namely this, or if you'd prefer it in natural, this. I'd say after shipping and customs, you'd land one under the €600 mark.

Now, I now I've got an interest in extended range instruments, like 7 or 8 string guitars, 6 string bass, and while I can manage comfortably with that bit extra, I think there's probably a point where I just physically couldn't play an instrument. I think a bass with double the amount of strings could very well be it, but I don't think I'll be able to test that theory.

Anyway, such instruments are usually very niché and insanely expensive, so I'm sure there might be people here who could be quite interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Interesting. Though I really don't think it qualifies as a "bass" by any stretch of the imagination. :) That it's a guitar of some sort, I'll accept.

An 8 string bass is one of these: http://www.8stringbass.com ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

An 8 string bass is one of these: http://www.8stringbass.com ;)

Oh I certainly know about that kind of 8 String bass, they'd be the more common kind. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You'd really need to be Nosferatu to play those things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Looks uncomfortable, tiny string spacing, less than half an inch on the low strings. It'd be fairly unplayable for me but if someone was into it, it's not a bad price to check out that type of instrument before selling one of your kidneys to Bill Conklin for a real one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hmmm... I know I'd be the same as above posters but can't say I wouldn't like to give one a try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement