Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic Youth!

Options
  • 07-10-2006 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

I don't have any idea why I'm posting this,i just love Sonic Youth and I want people to write anything about them,what the bands represent for them or whatever personal meaning they display....

I feel in decades to come they will be more appreciated,like the Velvet Underground now,its a pity that when they are alive and well they seem on the periphery of critical praise and recognition,I have listened to so much music and theres something about their music that seems particularly extraordinary,their use of altenative tuning, their disreguard for conventional genre,their poetic voice skewering, glissading and trandscending the angels and goblins flickering in our mental dissipations...

theres just something about them.:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭quincyk

Great band.

<snip>

Legends!!!!!!!!

PLEASE NO MENTION OF MCD EVENTS ON BOARDS.IE. READ THE STICKY POSTED BY VEXORG IN THIS FORUM!!!! - John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Transcendentally beautiful music.

Just watched 'The Year Punk Broke' again the other day.

*SwOoN*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'll be honest, I don't really get them. I really tried to love Daydream Nation, but try as I might I just can't get passed thinking of it as a 'good' album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I love Sonic Youth but I do think that they have had a very patchy output. The last few albums have some gems on them but altogether they're pretty poor. However, the number of pure classic albums they've released negates this and they are definitely one of my favourite bands. As for underated like the Velvet Underground, nah! Sonic Youth have gotten all the kudos and appreciation they are likely ever to get with their own generation. VU were playing in high school gyms and broke up. SY have definitely had their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Don't like them all that much. I've tried to get into them but can't really. Like one or two songs but that's it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'll be honest, I don't really get them. I really tried to love Daydream Nation, but try as I might I just can't get passed thinking of it as a 'good' album.
    How many times have you listened to it straight through? Why have you "tried to love it"?

Daydream Nation is an album that isn't supposed to be heralded by all and loved by every listener. It's not an album you read about being great so you buy it and instantly love. It's an album you stumble across some time in your life which makes you initially think "what the fúck?", but after listening through it a few times(preferably in a sleepy/"daydreamy" mood) it is one of the most profound experiences available to music fans.

Hold on to DN for a while. Put it away and take it out when you're tired/bored/disillusioned with life/want to listen to something different, then listen to the full 70 mins.

Although I always could understand that there was something different and amazingly talented going on in Daydream Nation it never fully clicked with me until about a year after I bought it. I still only listen occasionally, it's not something you just stick on. I have to be in a particular mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

listen to sister. half the lenth of daydream nation and still as experimental!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

John wrote:
    I love Sonic Youth but I do think that they have had a very patchy output. The last few albums have some gems on them but altogether they're pretty poor.

don't agree there - Sonic Nurse is as good as anything they've ever done and Rather Ripped is also very good. For a band so far into their career they're producing very high quality stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Me likey this band.

They good live to watch even though they old people now.

Death Valley 69 - gggrrrrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

listen to sister. half the lenth of daydream nation and still as experimental!

Y:D eah sister is their quintessential album!

• Advertisement

Sister is great too, I think DN is better though. But DN was my first, so I'm biased :p

<SNIP> - Please no MCD!

Ah, memories.......

DN is good but, i dont know, it was just too 'big' for me.

Like I said before, I only listen to it on occasions when I'm in a particular mood. It's not very accessable, but that doesn't take away from it's greatness. I put on Sister more frequently that DN.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

I really like the last three albums, especially Murray Street. I think people have this fixed image of them as an art\noise terror band, but a lot of their stuff is actually so melodic.

They have such an eclectic output for example:

A Thousand Leaves{psychedelica}

SYR 4 Goodbye 20th century {like the soundtrack to a Japanese horror film}

Evol {if you liked DD and Sis alb check this out, the first of their superlative trilogy}:o

The Whitey album {Made under the pseudonym Ciccone Youth-a mock of popular culture music from rap to dance}

Goo, Dirty and Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star {their own grunge sound}

NYC Ghosts and flowers and Bad Moon Rising {poetry infused with glitches of tentative punk and ebbing soundscapes}

They have such an eclectic output for example:

A Thousand Leaves{psychedelica}

SYR 4 Goodbye 20th century {like the soundtrack to a Japanese horror film}

Evol {if you liked DD and Sis alb check this out, the first of their superlative trilogy}:o

The Whitey album {Made under the pseudonym Ciccone Youth-a mock of popular culture music from rap to dance}

Goo, Dirty and Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star {their own grunge sound}

NYC Ghosts and flowers and Bad Moon Rising {poetry infused with glitches of tentative punk and ebbing soundscapes}

you didn't tell them about the sh!t albums.

To be honest they could burb into a microphone and make an album outtha it and I'd still love it.

i dont know, they have released a few disapoing albums. some the syr series is a bit dodgy..........

Thats why they didn't release them on their main record label Geffen records of fear of isolating the masses,the syr series is their really experimental improv stuff-their poetic license.

Evol rocks also. Forgot to mention that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

one of my favourite bands.

Sister is their best record in my opinion. EVOL and Dirty then.
    Daydream Nation is very good but not amazing.

have seen them play some fine gigs over the years.

NYC Ghosts and Flowers is their most disappointing record. The trio since then have been very enjoyable.

I can understand why people dislike NYC ghosts and flowers, it can be quite perturbing,but I love the potency of the electronic element engendered by Jim O'Rourke and the poetry salient in their lyrics, I don't think anyone expected them to go so far out and really focus on the clammy nightmares and veracious energy percolated through their street cool pluckiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

haven't listened to them in years or really payed too much attention to their recent output tbh but I did go through a serious phase back in the day.
    loved DN - had it on my walkman for weeks when i got it.
    Dirty? think i was given this a pressie by an ex - they were gonna be huge apparently!
    seen them play twice including the time nirvana supported & i think it was me birthday too!!
    Tried ordering the whitey album a few years ago & failed then found it on vinyl!!fookin brilliant.
    i love this band im gonna dig the records out- also they do great covers ..
    Into the groove(y)by ciccone youth- greatest cover version ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

My favourite band and biggest influence.

Thurston Moore is my hero, i want him as a second guitarist for my band!!

Lauren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Amorphous Head

i taught goo was a great album
    i also stick on sister or dirty every so often but i always prefered goo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Interesting band. I really like Goo and Evol, but was never able to get into Daydream Nation. They did some really cool videos which I have on dvd. Oh yeah and I love The Whitey Album. I was able to find it on vinyle but wish I could get it on cd.

Advertisement