Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student loan BOI

Options
  • 06-10-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a first year in 3rd level college, I have a student account with boi, and was wondering if anyone has any advice/previous experience with student loans?

I need a laptop for college, and I aint got the funds.

Any help/tips/links appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Aib's website have a loan calculator if you wanna check out the repayments on a loan.

I may be getting a student loan too...so any advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Do you have any income stream at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

AIB have a much better interest rate 6.75% compared to BOI +7% rate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

wyndham wrote:
    Do you have any income stream at all?

Yes, I work weekends part time,
    and friday nights the odd time too. About 12 hours minimum a week in work, 19 hours college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Just don't go mad with what your asking for, I'd gotten 1500 a few years back and the yearly interest was only 70 something, so it's not hugely expensive cost of credit, how much do you think you can repay wvery month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Why dont most people have credit union accounts there the best for loans like say if you had €25 or whatever going in every week they would give you a loan no bother say if you have 500 in your account they will give you a €1000 but you cant take your 500 out until you have the loan paid off and charge feck all interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Grumpy I'm in the same boat as yourself. Been hankering after a Macbook to take all my notes on. Might have to drop into my local branch and see what the story is with student loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I reckon I could get a loan of €1000 no problem, might go into them next Friday. The interst is the only part I'm unsure about.

EDIT: 3,000 post ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

I'd recommend you get an Ulster bank account, afaik with their student account you can take out a €650 overdraft intrest free for as long as you're studying in college, furthermore with BOI you can take out a €2000 travel loan, and if you pay it back within 9 months it's intrest free, try stay away from paying interest if you can, otherwise try arrange a load with you parents?? If you're taking out €1000 it wouldn't be unreasonable working those house to put away €20 a week for a year, that way you could easily pay off either off using any of the above methods, and but your macbook through the college - €160 voucher for a ipod and about 100 off the macbook!

SQDD wrote:
    Furthermore with BOI you can take out a €2000 travel loan, and if you pay it back within 9 months it's intrest free

I tried looking for this on their website? Do you've a link by any chance? Or any idea of what the terms are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Here ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sack

BOI were consistently crap based on my dealings with them, especially when it came to student loans, and unless you are doing a computer course you don't need a laptop.

Slurms wrote:
    Here ya go!

Thanking you!

How difficult is it to get a student loan of something like 2k for a year?

Would I have to prove a revenue stream, as in something off my job to prove I've an income?

And would I have to have a history of depositing with the bank?

As you can probably tell....I've never gotten a loan before...

Advertisement