Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi looking for Places with trad singing of all folk genres

Options
  • 06-10-2006 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

HI there just looking for places that may have a focus on folk singing preferably in dublin but i would travel. I used to sing sean nos but i then went into classical singing, thing like opera arias and leider songs. I was looking for somewhere that might give vocalists a chance as well as instrumentalists. And maybe get a gig oor two myself in a while. I want to blend classical and folk/trad styles to create something a bit different. But does anyone know of anywhere that might be suitable. And where do you go to listen to singers?I did hear one folk singer in the Haypenny inn from England and he was very amazing, he sang some english folk songs i think there were some irish singers too. I am not sure if this is a regualr thing though and it was a while ago. Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Hi, I think Club Aras na Gael in Harcourt St - Its below Conradh na Gael. I used hear sean nos singing whenever I walked by on a thursday evening but that was
    a long while ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Thanks might try to find out about it, thanks for replying. Anyone else have any ideas just incase they don't do it anymore or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭conordaniel

the celt,o'sheas merchants,the quays,
    o'sheas has good ballads with a full band
    the celt is ok
    the quays can be tourist-y
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Thanks will try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

http://goilin.com

Goilin club meets every Friday night in Tom Mayes Dorset Street. Good quality unaccompanied singing - anyone can join in. You need to be quiet and listen there but if that doesn't bother you its worth a try.

More informal singers session recently moved from OConnors in Ballyboughal to Oldtown every Tuesday night.(not sure of pub name but Oltown is a small place in north county Dublin so should be easy to find)

• Advertisement
Advertisement