Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young: Heart Of Gold

Options
  • 06-10-2006 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

This is perhaps the wrong place to put this as its a movie, but its a Neil Young movie so its near enough. Ive just seen its playing in the Screen in D'Olier St at the moment. Im gonna go this afternoon and ill let you know what is was like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Is this a movie about Neil Young like Walk the Line was for Johnny Cash or is it a documentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

It's a live concert of him performing the whole of prairie wind and then some old favourites. It's Neil at his most sentimental if you're in that kind of mood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

damn i'm out of the country for the week, i wonder what the chance are that this will last more than a week in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

i hope its better than that last film Greendale. that was just sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I saw it and enjoyed it very much, but its one for fans only. A couple of people walked out during it. Some great tunes in there, but having to listen to all of prarie wind was a bit of a chore at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I went to see this recently, on my own, and had no idea what to expect. The title turned out to be quite misleading and I walked out after about half an hour. As much as I admire Neil Young, I thought this was absolutely terrible. I don't think I've ever walked out on a film before, and at €9 that's got to be the most expensive film I've ever had to pay for. From now on I'll be sure to read at least one review before I go to see a music film again.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

I enjoyed it, but I agree with the other posters, it's very downbeat and the lack of any really energetic sections might put you to sleep.. I wouldn't go and see it if you're not already a Neil Young fan, and even then you need a degree of patience. It's nicely filmed, but unlike the other Jonathan Demme directed concert film (Stop Making Sense, about Talking Heads) the music itself probably isn't the kind of thing that would grab you on first hearing... he does a set of his classics after the Prairie Wind stuff and there's a sense of melancholy about it as you get the impression he's reappraising his life and career with the shadow of mortality hanging over him (he'd just had brain surgery a few weeks before) which makes it quite touching in places, but it might be too subtle a payoff for most people to bother with.

Advertisement