Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okay, okay... Come to a decision on a Marshall DSL50.

Options
  • 06-10-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Right guys i've decided that, because i wont get the sound i want from a little avt50 or a JCM900, I will hold out for some months and actually get a nice marshall DSL50 half stack! Have asked for opinions on the DSL50 on other forums and it seems really good. What do you think of it?

Also something that is more the issue in this thread is the cabinet. I have not come to a final decision on it yet as its very difficult to as i have been told that a quality cab is essential! Dont want to go overboard though. I was originally thinking about this marshall cab http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=68202&my_currency=1 and would still prefer to get this one as its not that pricey, its 2x12 and it will match the DSL50 of course... Is there a quality difference between 4x12s and 2x12s? I was also looking at a 'Framus' 2x12 cab (vin 30's) on thomann for only 295eu. So what do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

framus make some great stuff. Harley Benton make 4X12's with celestions for about that price too so check em out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i prefare the Tsl to a Dsl :p

but the dsl 50 aint bad at all, i just prefare the tsl casue of the seperate Eq channels but it might be more the sound ur looking for in a modern jimi kinda way

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

With cost in mind, what do you think i should go for, a 4x12 cab or a 2x12? By the way this is the Framus cab i was looking at http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cs_cb.htm?partner_id=79570

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

That Framus cab looks to be well made, its fairly plain looking but looks fairly neat and tidy. Nice little removable panel in the back. Vintage 30s you cant go wrong with. Great price. Id say go for it. But replace the socket on the back, supposed to be useless - youll fry your amp if it fails.
    framus1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

DSL's are Ok.......TSL FTW

• Advertisement

sei046 wrote:
    DSL's are Ok.......TSL FTW
    I think, and from what i've been told elsewhere (and what al said), the DSLs are better for classic styles eg. blues, pshycadelic, classic rock. Thats what i want. Ive been led to believe that TSLs are more towards modern style tones... The cost is also a major factor.

Yea thats "what they say" both are kinda similar theres a bita difference though, + i got 800€ off my Tsl Bahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

ye i think the DSLs are a bit more of a "classic" sound

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭damomeasa

i way prefer my dsl to my friends tsl which i've gigged through a few times.. just something about the sound on the tsl that i can never quite get right.

if i were you i'd hold out and pick up an s/h 100watt dsl and marshall 4 x 12 on buyandsell/ebay/adverts.ie. you never know when you'll need that extra volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I use a TSL100 with an ENGL 2X12, and Mesa Preamp tubes, and she's a low down dirty bitch (in a good way).
    TK

• Advertisement

ah the common misconceptions! Tsl's quite variable in what they can do once u spend a bit of time with them i wasnt impresed when i first got it, but the tone options are endless with the seperate Eqed channells, I also have a Eq and a tube overdrive in front and the tones are amazin from it, + it has that lil VPR button, works great

Guys just to let you know i've settled on a Marshall 1987x ri head with a M 1960AV cab :D so there's no need for the DSL/TSL arguments. Im getting neither! Anyway so yeah i did some research and i've come to my senses thankfully. I want the Hendrix tone and to get that theres no such thing as shortcuts so i've decided to hold out a little longer and get the 1987x (which is basically exactly the same as the hendrix model (1959SLP) except its 50w instead of 100!!!!). Thats true cause i read it from many reliable sources. If you look at both you cant see the difference! Cant wait:)

Advertisement