Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus's introductory offer good value? I think not...

Options
  • 05-10-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Got the usual "Addressed to Householder" letter from Chorus in the post today. Get them about once every 3 months actually. I thought I would do bit of a comparison between what they are offering me (for €28 per month) against what I already have for free via the little satellite box (from satellite dot ie, thanks Tony) for €100 delivered.

Chorus is offering me, in total, 48 TV channels and 6 Radio channels (I won't list them all here. For reference, refer to their website).

On the satellite box, OF THE ONES CHORUS IS OFFERING, I already get:
    RTE 1, 2, TV3, TG4 (via aerial)
    BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, CBBC, CBeebies, UTV
    Sky News, CNN, BBC News 24
    At The Races, Box, QVC, Living TV, Men&Motors, Biography Channel, Playboy TV, UKTV Style

(Thats 22 channels of their 48 I get already)

...and 6 radio channels

In total, about 260 TV channels are available via satellite, but when you break that down to ones worth watching, it comes to about 60.

There are 65 radio channels.

Of the list the Chorus provides, only an extra 10 to 12 TV channels would be of any real valuable interest.

For an extra €28 a month?

I don't think so...

Funny thing too, when we first moved in just over a year ago, a Chrous rep called in to try and sell us this package. When I showed him the list above that I said I get for free already, he was taken aback a little by the amount of channels the customer can get for free already. He didn't know!

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I would say that most people don't know:

* BBC & ITV & Film4 free on Satellite

* A Sky ROI sub hides all the BBC radio (12?) and BBC nations and Regions apart from NI and Cbeebies, Cbbc, BBC3, BBC4 , BBC News 24, BBC Parliament

*ITV has ITV3, 4, CitV, ITVPlay and Men&Motors All Free

*CNN, Sky News, Russia Today, Bloomberg, CNBC, DWTV, TV5, TVEi, Euronews, BBC World TV all free, on satellite, even though some of these are pay TV on Sky!

In my experience the main reason people subscribe ultmately is for Sport or C4. I have a Sky minimum sub for Discovery/NatGeo etc

Advertisement