Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self service tills - no cc authorisation?

Options
  • 05-10-2006 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

notices yesterday at the self service tills in auperquinn sutton that i can use my chip/pin card without my pin.
    is this normal?
    i could walk up with a few hundred quids worth of stock and a a bunch of stolen cards and just try them all until one works.

i dont like the idea that somone could use my card in such an easy way,
    surely a bricks nd mortar shop can be doing a bit more in terms of card security.
    theyre the ones who lose out on fraudulent transactions, no?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

if they've a magstripe reader they are.

the little black pinpads connect easily to the tills, and the selfscan tills do actually run the same program under the hood that the ordinary ones do, which is why your receipt and clubcard points are as normal.

i guess there has to be a reason, and no you couldn't enter it on screen because then the entire unit would need EMV Levels 1 and 2 Certification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

so basically what your saying,
    is that this is a cost cutting measure?
    they wont shell out on either the certification or the pin code things so theyre leaving themselves wide open to fraud?

seems a silly move in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

In Tesco's if you spend more than 20 euro at the self-service checkouts you are required to sign when using a credit card.

cheers

i charged about 45 in SQ without being asked to sign.
    in tesco does someone come over to you,
    or do you electronically sign the touch screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jail8ird

http://tinyurl.com/lasco

"A "security loophole" at Tesco self-service tills has allowed thieves to fleece consumers out of thousands of pounds, consumer group Which? warned today..."

I would be very afraid!

• Advertisement

thanks for the link jailbird,

it definitely seems to be a cost cutting initiative.
    i dont think theres any extra danger in using one of these tills,
    but it is easier to get away with the auld defrauding at one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yes, seen this as well on BBC breakfast news this morning

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5406742.stm

Very odd Tescos don't require you to have a chip n' pin card and to input the pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

this isnt exactly true, some people using the self service need to scan, not sure if its a cash threshold or random checks though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

well if the selfscan is running the cash register program (AS@R) under the hood, I don't see why they're not fitted with the chip and pin device.

Very bad mark indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

No pin required when I used my credit card at a self service ticket machine at my local irish rail station.

And for train tickets abroad from self service terminals. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think if you buy weekly tickets and the more expensive ones if you pay by laser or cc you arent asked for pin or to sign anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The reason for chip and pin is to move liability for card fraud away from the bank. Now either the card user is liable ( they let someone know their pin ) or if a retailer accepts a card without a pin then it is the retailer who is liable and not the consumer. So basically the shops with self-service non -pin terminals are accepting the risks involved.

Seeing as these self-service tills are generally well covered by video cameras the risk for fraud is fairly low.

Advertisement