Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hidden Cameras - Awoo

Options
  • 04-10-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Thought I might inject some actual indie into this forum, instead of another thread on one of the klones. (read: the Killers/Keane/Kasabian/etc).

Stumbled across this band on one of my frequent travails across the the internet. Canadian indie band - been about for a few years. I think the title track "Awoo" got some airplay this year - because it sounds really familiar to me (either that or its a cover). That song has a distinctively REM sound. Not very early REM, or very late REM, but the delicious mid-term REM (Automatic for the People era).

The good news is, the album is full of gems, some have the catchy melodies of the title track, others are more brooding.

Anyway - if you want to hear a few of the songs, elbo.ws has links to a few music blogs, with a few tracks. Also there's a video for Awoo on youtube.

Enjoy.

PS did a search for any previous posts about the band on boards - no sign.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Too Twee for me
    Tried to listen to them and get into them and I just couldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Too Twee for me,
    Tried to listen to them and get into them and I just couldnt
    Would you consider Sparklehorse "twee"?

Also do you know if the title track did indeed recieve a lot of airtime - it sounds obscenely familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Please keep an eye on whether a gig you mention is MCD or not Garth (and Re*Ac*tor, in case you were wondering why I edited your post, I was just editing the quote of Garth's post).

I haven't heard The Hidden Cameras but I've heard good things about them. Must investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

John wrote:
    Please keep an eye on whether a gig you mention is MCD or not Garth (and Re*Ac*tor, in case you were wondering why I edited your post, I was just editing the quote of Garth's post).

I haven't heard The Hidden Cameras but I've heard good things about them. Must investigate.
    The video on youtube will give you a good intro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Morrissey

Been into these guys for a few years, I highly recommend the Album 'Smell of Our Own' and 'Mississauga Goddam' is a great album too. The music is brilliant, really catchy and accessible, and the lyrics are bizarre! Everyone should definitely check them out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 e.doobie

have both of the above albums... really refreshing..put me in mind of DECEMBERIST
    or they put me in mind of them.
    had planned to go see hidden cameras just a week or two ago but... plans fall through, yknow hopw it goes..
    pity though, i hear absloutly great things from their live show's...

ah, next time maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    The video on youtube will give you a good intro.

Really like the music, chirpy and cheery but not saccharine. However the singer ruins it for me, doesn't suit the music at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Awoo is bloody great, simple as that! (pitchfork got it badly wrong at 5.6/10)
    I haven't heard their first album yet but must get it, was very dissappointed I couldn't see them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jack nance hair

Have to say, while I like Awoo, and have been listening to it quite a lot lately, some of the songs can be a bit same-y. I find it's getting more and more difficult to make out the lyrics. The lyrics on the first album was one of the things that really reeled me in, but I'm not getting the same from Awoo. Live (IN GENERAL!!), they're pretty amazing, especially with the current touring lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

It's not up there with the first album, probably as good as the second album. IT could be better, some of the songs are disappointing but there's enough on there to make it an interesting album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Saw them live a few years ago on a tour with Sleepy Jackson in Whelans.
    They were mental live.

Advertisement