Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guitar Day :D

Options
  • 03-10-2006 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Been gassing over something with single coils recently so I got me one of these :D

glbodyzc5.jpg

glheadmi9.jpg

Played like a dog when I got her, a lot of fretbuzz on the higher frets. Popped off the neck and this fell out...

plasticvi8.jpg

Some wierd bit O plastic :confused: Plays lovely now :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Some tard's attempt to shim the neck i'd say. Nice Axe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

A neck shim is something that takes time to get right - id imagine someone has just plonked one in without any regard to the thickness needed and whether it needed to be in the front or back of the neck pocket. I wouldnt dismiss it altogether, but if its playing fine without it good stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That's pretty nice, sir. Good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Amazing how ye can tell it's not the right size shim from the wee picture and where it was placed in the pocket ;)

Good call Beecher, that's a sweet guitar.

Doctor J wrote:
    Amazing how ye can tell it's not the right size shim from the wee picture and where it was placed in the pocket ;)

If he took it out and it plays better, you dont need a picture to tell the shim job wasnt right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If he took it out and the buzzing stopped, the action wasn't set high enough ;)

All the shim will do is increase the angle of the neck relative to the body, requiring the bridge saddles to be higher. If it's choking on the upper frets then it sounds to me like the bridge wasn't high enough to allow for the increased angle, that's all. Generally, if a shim is placed at the front of the pocket in a guitar like this, you'd need to sink the bridge into the body to get the saddles low enough to play without the strings being miles above the end of the fretboard, so it's safe to say it was at the back. It's fairly common and not all that hard to do right, you often see Gibson players doing it to strats because they're used to the strings being further away from the body than on your regular strat setup, or using the oul Microtilt.

Beecher, are they the magnetic field pickups or regular single coils? I'd say they sound rather tasty.

More importantly, tell us more about the Rollins pass :)

Yeah, a high action cures all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Doctor J wrote:
    Beecher, are they the magnetic field pickups or regular single coils? I'd say they sound rather tasty.

More importantly, tell us more about the Rollins pass :)

Regular singles for now, sounds real tasty but I prefer a higher output bridge pickup so I ordered a JB Jnr from that Ebay link you had in your V thread :D

Yeah the Rollins pass, I roadied on his tour in '02 in Belfast, Dublin and Cork. Sound bastard, even bought us a crate of beer :D

And the pass just happened to be in range when you took the pic, eh? :D

Doctor J wrote:
    And the pass just happened to be in range when you took the pic, eh? :D

Haha I have quite a few backstage passes stuck to my table, that just happened to be the only clear section of my table ;)

• Advertisement

Sure it was :p

Anyway, how's that trem for stability? (never played the G&L trem, I'm curious to know)

I like the larger mass of the trem in comparison to a Fender, really comfortable to rest your hand on. Doesnt have much range though, good for a fast vibrato but you cant really dive with it. Rock solid tuning though :D

The tuning is the bit that matters though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

man ill see ya this weekend and ill get a good look at it. Ill bring my schecter with me too.

:D

Advertisement