Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 records released this year that you must buy...

Options
  • 03-10-2006 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Guess what?It has been a genuinely good year so far in Hip-Hop, and with the likes of Nas, Clipse and AZ all ready to drop its only going to get better.Sure Chingy outsold Lupe;sure The Roots commercially flopped;sure when you turn on MTV or even Base you feel like throwing the TV set out the window but the truth is the Hip-Hop community can't afford to be this cynical.Right now we barely praise the many good albums that are being released, and when we do we do so in a begrudging manner, praising the artist whilst attacking Hip-Hop simultaneously.How are new and current artists supposed to put out good music in such a negative and hypocritical enviroment?Thats why we must praise and criticise in equal amounts and realise that there has been some good stuff out this year.So what you need to fully appreciate that Hip-Hop doesn't suck in '06...

1.The Roots-Game Theory

The Tipping Point was a helluva lot better then most made it out to be but this album is undoubtedly the Roots strongest since TFA.There is very little weak on it, 'Take It There' and 'Livin' in a New World' being the only tracks worth skipping.However there are bangers aplenty;the hard hitting 'Here I Come', the dark 'In The Music' with its gorgeous drums and the very well put together 'Can't Stop This', a perfect ode to the legendary J Dilla.Not quite the most consistent album this year but 'Game Theory' and 'Longtime' are surely two of the best tracks out this year.

2.Lupe Fiasco-Food and Liqour

One of the best young MC's to appear for ad ecade or so, this album is anchored by some frankly incredible beats and Lupe's highly impressive lyrics.The soulful 'Sunshine', the high octane 'Real' and the politically charged 'American Terrorist'-the list goes on- all bang along appropiately and while there are a few miss steps courtesy of the Neptunes(I Gotcha) and Lupe's own corniness (Hurt Me Soul) this is easily one of the most impresive records out this year.And it did well commercially, showing that intelligent Hip-Hop can do well sales wise.

3.Spearhead-Yell Fire!

Spearhead have been ignored by the music community for a decade or so now which is a shame because Franti and his crew continue to put out well produced, thought provoking(well kinda) and just plain fun music again and again.Yell Fire! is maybe there best effort yet;the production is consistent and Micheal Franti's style is simply infectious.

4.The Coup-Pick A Bigger Weapon.

Boots Riley is back with his own brand of funky production and both amusing and intelligent political rhymes.Highlights include ShoYoAss, Mind**** and the classic '**** the world' style anthem 'The Stand', but there are excellent tracks throughout and a good appearance from Black Thought.

5.Method Man-4:21...The Day After

Once you forgive him for putiing the awful 'Lets Ride' out as the lead single, you'll notice this is Meths best album since Tical.'The Glide' is a Wu banger, the sombre 'Say' has Lauryn Hill on it(no need to say anymore)and with production from Havoc,RZA and Erick Sermon this is easily one of the best produced albums this year.

6.J. Dilla-The Shining

Further proof that Dilla was about to hit a golden period before his death, The Shining has a first class list of MC's, in particular Pharoahe Monch and Common while Dilla's soulful production is faultless.'Love' is the highlight though and easily one of the bets tracks this year and a clear example of why we will miss Dilla so much.

7.Coldcut-Sound Mirrors

Here purely on the basis of three tracks-the opening 'Man In A Garage','True Skool' Feat. Roots Manuva and 'Walk A Mile In My Shoes'.The rest of the album has plenty of hits and misses but its worth buying purely on the above, as your unlikely to find three better produced tracks(and brilliant vocally)this year.

8.Spank Rock-YoYoYoYoYo

A hidden gem, this is one of the most eclectic Hip-Hop albums you are likely to find.The beats are highly innovated and sound like nothing else you are likely to hear, mixing Funk and Hip-Hop brilliantly and the raps are thoroughly solid throughtout.Again the tracks 'Rick Rubin' and 'Sweet Talk' standout above the rest but there is little hear you will skip.

9.Murs and 9th Wonder-Murray's Revenge

9th is officially the best producer in Hip-Hop right now, he just churns out great soulful beats by the album.Murray's Revenge is no different and Murs heartful lyrical style completes the package.

10.Ghostface-Fishscale

Along with Meth and Masta Killa Ghostfce is spearheading a bit of a Wu revival.The production is suitably impressive-Just Blaze, Pete Rock and DOOM to name just a few while Rae and Trife put in plenty of excellent verses to compliment Ghostface's varied style.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

My ten:

P.O.S - Audition
    Roots - Game Theory
    Ghostface - Fishscale
    Lupe - Food & Liquor
    Dilla - donuts
    Gnarls - st elsewhere
    Soul Position - Things go better...
    Mr. Lif - Mo' Mega
    ayatollah - now playing
    Apathy - Eastern Philosophy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Collie Collins

i got Murs' 3:16 der de uder week, never heard of him before but he's pretty ****in savage alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

4.21 is easily the album of the year.... so far. just pipping food & liquor.

I'd have Luda's "Release Therapy" in there, and, Strange Fruit Projects "the Healing"

It's a bit strange that most have all come out in the past two months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

1. CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange

Available sine late 2005 but only released in 2006. My album of the year. Hasn't been topped by anything in the last 10 months. Quality from start to finish.

2. The Roots - Game Theory

The Roots going back to what they used to sound like. A nice dark album, no filler just good songs. Perhaps not the second best album of the year but I'm putting it there anyway.

3. Mr Lif - Mo' Mega

Another album from earlier in the year, one which was missed by a lot of people I feel. Lif is his ever consistent self and the production is good too. Lif is underrated by too many people imo.

4. The Coup - Pick A Bigger Weapon

I was never really that much into The Coup, but this album made me go back and revisit their older stuff. Quality album, let down by a few weak tracks and annoying skits. My Favourite Mutiny with Black Thought and Talib Kweli is the standout track for me.

5. J. Dilla/Jay Dee - Donuts

It's Dilla, it's Donuts, it's great. Get it.

6. People Under The Stairs - Stepfather

PUTS are another duo that are underrated imo. This is a very well put together album. Some catchy songs that really carry that West Coast vibe (see Souls of Mischief, Pharcyde etc), Jamboree Pt. 2 sums up that sound the best for me.

7. Cut Chemist - The Audience's Listening

Debut solo album from Cut Chemist and it's very good. It's exactly what was missing from J5's album (Feedback). The trademark Cut Chemist sound is ever present and some of the songs are top notch. What's The Altitude and Storm are my two favourite tracks.

8. Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor

It's probably better than 8th but I haven't listened to it enough to really bump it up the list. It's a solid debut and Lupe is a promising artist. The album hasn't really grabbed me though.

9. Method Man - 4.21 The Day After

Method Man back to making good music. The last two albums weren't that good but he has made up for it. Again with more listens I may have ranked it higher up, I dunno though, I think most Wu artists work better on Wu albums or with heavy Wu member presence on the solos this was kind of missing from this album.

10. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale

Hyped beyond all belief at the start of the year and managed to live up to a fair bit of it. Too many skits and some of the songs are a bit mediocre but it's a solid album. Some of the songs on the leaked advance should probably have made it on to the album proper. Be Easy produced by Pete Rock is an absolute banger and the standout track for me.

Honourable mentions:

Apathy - Eastern Philosophy
    P.O.S. - Audition
    Gym Class Heroes - As Cruel As School Children
    Mr Nogatco - Nogatco Rd
    Murs and 9th Wonder - Murray's Revenge
    Project Polaroid - Project Polaroid
    J. Dilla - The Shining
    Soul Position - Things Go Better With RJ and Al
    Bronze Nazareth - The Great Migration
    Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
    Jedi Mind Tricks - Servants in Heaven Kings in Hell
    Inspectah Deck - The Resident Patient
    Masta Killa - Made In Brooklyn
    Oh No - Exodus Into Unheard Rhythms
    Swollen Members - Black Magic
    Zion I - Break A Dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Can't believe I friggin forgot Cunninlynguists.Brilliant ,brilliant album, as good as anything above.That Masta Killa album has some of the best tracks put out this year,It Is What It Is,Ringing Bells and Street Corner are all brilliant.

The follow up posts made me realise that I've missed a shedload of albums this year.Thought that Soul Positon was plain awful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Soul Position album had nothing on the EP or other album but it wasn't awful. It came out roughly the same time as the Aceyalone and RJD2 album which was pretty crap and just made the SP album look better. But yeah, not a patch on the first two albums.

I would prefer it if RJD2 would just release an album of his own instead of doing these collaborations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Makaveli wrote:
    1. CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange

Available sine late 2005 but only released in 2006. My album of the year. Hasn't been topped by anything in the last 10 months. Quality from start to finish.

ah yeah, that'd be in my 10, just wasn't sure if it was last years or this year

Others worth mentioning, People under the stairs - stepfather, Psalm one death of frequent flier, Ohene One - inner city soul, nightmares on wax - in a space outta sound , murs & 9th, mef, louis logic - misery loves comedy, lake and mega, steven seagal, JMT, rebel ins, dilated peoples

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

RJD2's MC choices are pretty awful, but then again Premo(Big Shug,Blaq Poet and the Group Home) and Timbo have the exact same problems.He has never really lived up to Deadringer,which is a massive shame because Deadringer is frankly incredible.

Advertisement