Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debating

Options
  • 03-10-2006 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone doing debating in TY? Our school usually does the Concern debates, we had tryouts for them today and will have the team picked tomorrow. It'd be good if we did the Leinster debates too so the people who didn't get on the concern team can debate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

doing it in 5th year if thats relevant. Hopefully doing Gael Linn again plus some German debates my teacher's organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

Piste wrote:
    Is anyone doing debating in TY? Our school usually does the Concern debates, we had tryouts for them today and will have the team picked tomorrow. It'd be good if we did the Leinster debates too so the people who didn't get on the concern team can debate.

yeah im doing a mental health debate.have the team picked!what a load of nonsense but anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Debating is an excellent way to get good presentation skills, I was captain of my school team for 5th and 6th year, a few Aer Rianta finals and a couple of Concern quarter finals in there, as well as 3rd speaker in TY.

Trust me, now that I have finished my Degree and started work, my debating skills have been a huge help both back in DCU and now in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

There's a mental health public speaking competition each year but I don't think it's the same as debating. I did the concern debates last year, we lost them all, boo. However, we DID get to meet lovely people. woo.

ah well loss can be beneficial in some cases..
    we lost yesterday against Loreto Dalkey in German debating they were very good but at least it helps you to know where you can improve.
    Our first Irish debate is on the 13th against Pobalscoil Neasain :)
    its great fun and it really does help your language skills in either case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

We won our Debate against NewPark last week, but our next one is against Coláiste Iosogáin, and they're very good I've heard...

are you in the Gael Linn debating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Piste wrote:
    We won our Debate against NewPark last week, but our next one is against Coláiste Iosogáin, and they're very good I've heard...

Aaah, my school. I can't imagine the team being particularly good tbh. i'm doing the Leinster schools, in expectation of vast failure however.

Jakkass wrote:
    are you in the Gael Linn debating?

No I'm not, that's the super-good Irish speakers, us Honours2 people aren't allowed do Irish debates.

ugh thats a bit scabby :( in our school anyone doing honours can do it

• Advertisement

Yeah in our school I don't think any of the other three Irish classes knew about them until the people in the top class were heard talking about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Jeez. My year has 1 honours Irish 6th year class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My school doesn't appear to do any form of debating in any language. How's that for crap.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Jeez. My year has 1 honours Irish 6th year class.

Oh well this was in 1st/2nd and 3rd year, for those years there are two honours and two pass Irish classes.

Though I'm sure it will be much the same for the LC.

My school doesn't appear to do any form of debating in any language. How's that for crap.

pretty crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I don't do debating but a friend who does has called on me to fill in for someone who cancelled. It's on in Trinity next Monday. I've never done debating before. Anyone have any helpfull tips or advice on debating in general?

Put plenty of expression into it, even if you look like an idiot, it helps convince the judges and helps to push your points. And don't read off the sheet or cards too much, just glance down at it occasionally. Actually it might be of benefit to even learn the speech where possible

erm yay 2000 posts!! :p

Postcount ++++ :p

in relation to the Gael Linn debating competition. The Kings Hospital (Palmerstown) and Pobalscoil Neasáin (Baldoyle) got through the first round of the competition. Opposition were Scoil Naomh Michael (Finglas) and Sutton Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

I haven't done the concern debate but I am on the irish Debating team in the gael Linn debate and i did the national Forum on Europe which is public speaking but quite similar to debating.
    Debating is actually a great thing to do- it gives you lots of confidence and if you are going for a job interview its much easier if you have experience speaking in public.
    I found the irish debating really good- you're Irish improves so much, even if you don't write all your speech.

• Advertisement
Advertisement