Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA to UK adaptor.

Options
  • 03-10-2006 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I went to maplins yesterday to get an adaptor for my amp. It arrived today, :D:D:D pics later, and they asked me what wattage I needed. :confused:

On the back of the amp it says 120v 60hz. Is this what they are looking for? Apparently there are different adaptors for like 45 watt 100 watt 200 watt.

Doing my head in this, and its only 11:00am, :mad: won't get home until 6:30 :mad: stupid work........

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What wattage is the amp? If it was a 100W amp, I'd get a 200W transformer, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Its a Mesa Boogie 30 Watt combo but switchable to 15 and 5 watts. I have heard the wattage should be the Voltage x (N) amp fuse. The fuse is a 2 amp fuse so the wattage would be 240watt. (120 x 2).

I'll try to talk to someone in Maplins and see what the crack is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

There's no staff product training in Maplin, so I wouldn't be bothered asking in there to be honest.

The power consumption of the amp should be given in watts somewhere on the back - failing that it should be in the specs in the manual or on the website.

Voltage multiplied by the mains fuse rating is a safe bet, and you can't have too much wattage - but you might end up paying more than you need to here. They only do step-down transformers in 45VA, 100VA, 200VA, and 300VA in Maplin, so you'll be looking at the 300VA if you're counting on 240VA. It's about €66 if you get it at a bad time. Occasionally you can get it for €33.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Hi Eoin. I got the 200va one they have which I thought was the largest. Speaking with electricly minded people (wtf :)) they said the likelyhood of pulling on the full 240VA was unlikely. The amp will get house and garage use so I don't expect to be full blast on any occasion for any amount of time over a few seconds.

What do you think? Bring it back and get the 300 to be safe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

To be honest, the power consumption of my 50w ENGL is only 150VA afaik, you'll be grand with the 200VA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Quattroste wrote:
    What do you think? Bring it back and get the 300 to be safe!!

Nah, it'll probably be fine tbh. Your electrically minded friends are right. It will only consume 240 watts when it's shorting.

Transformers aren't covered by Maplin's discretionary returns policy, so you can't bring it back anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Thats the lonestar special isnt it - lovely amp, nicely done :D

Advertisement