Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Hobbs- 30 Things..SSIA

Options
  • 02-10-2006 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

Watched the first half hour of this and could stand it no longer. Hobbs has turned into a parody of himself. The first 20 minutes or so was consumed with an anti-government rant. What could have been an informative investment programme in a prime slot has been wasted by this fool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I posted my views on this thread

The programme was farcical with the one or two pieces of good information most likely lost in all the garbage.

Whether or not it makes good investment sense, I can't believe his first actual recommendation was a gold ETF. :eek: That's not exactly entry-level investment. And is was squeesed in somewhere between getting elected and having a sex change :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭KNO3

Sarsfield wrote:
    I can't believe his first actual recommendation was a gold ETF. :eek: That's not exactly entry-level investment. And is was squeesed in somewhere between getting elected and having a sex change :rolleyes:

Agreed, nearly fell off my chair when i heard this (well not quite) not exactly an investment for the average punter I would have thought.

Overall I thought the programme was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Perhaps a little low on investment tips, well if you were Eddie Hobbs, you'd be slow to broadcast your tips and leave your books catching dust on bookshop shelves!

At times I thought it was very funny and I loved the skits around the goldfish Irish investors!! No brains but eyes + mouth wide open!

Welcome to the Klondike Irish style!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

pure dung, his attemps at comedy were terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Perhaps a little low on investment tips, well if you were Eddie Hobbs, you'd be slow to broadcast your tips and leave your books catching dust on bookshop shelves!

Not sure I'd agree with that. If you give people a taste, they come back for more. If they don't think that the little they've heard you say is worthwhile, what chance do you have of them buying your book?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

patsyh wrote:
    pure dung, his attemps at comedy were terrible

I agree. it's getting embarrassing now. especially the ads promoting it....:rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Blackjack wrote:
    Not sure I'd agree with that. If you give people a taste, they come back for more. If they don't think that the little they've heard you say is worthwhile, what chance do you have of them buying your book?.

I think the target audience is principally novice investors but primarily housewives. This show will go from strength to strength, and its success will not be judged on quality of financial advice provided but numbers of viewers.

He has already exceeded the viewership for Late Late Show, and like the other ARE TEE E institution The AreTeeE Guide, the biggest selling mag, nobody claims to read it but who is buying it???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Sarsfield wrote:

The programme was farcical with the one or two pieces of good information most likely lost in all the garbage.

Whether or not it makes good investment sense, I can't believe his first actual recommendation was a gold ETF. :eek: That's not exactly entry-level investment. And is was squeesed in somewhere between getting elected and having a sex change :rolleyes:
    Did he not say though that in the first episode he would be concentrating on High Risk, High Return (ie, silly) investments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Maybe it will get more serious as it goes along, but I doubt it. How many people are going to lump into something they saw on the TV anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i liked his idea of the great big pissup on the wine that cost 14k like :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Did he not say though that in the first episode he would be concentrating on High Risk, High Return (ie, silly) investments?

I'd see a sex change as high risk, low return. In fact I'd be guaranteed to end up with less than I started with - a LOT less :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bomb_thrower

Just watched the 2nd episode after missing the first one. What a load of crud. Apart from the good intro where he's running down a street in suit & tie in Trainspotting mode, not funny at all and I couldn't really tell with that accent if he was being serious or not at times. Very frustrating. These scenarios he setup in shopping malls polling people were ridiculous. He asks one set how'd they feel having a Dublin accent!!?? I thought this was going to be a proper examination of the investment opportunities done in a mildly humourous way.

Dammit when it comes to the 20k I'm going to get in a few months I want half-decent advice delivered in a serious manner (yes, add a little humour as well), not getting the opinions of buck-toothed single Dublin mothers or explaining the benefits of investing it in your funeral. They should've got David Mcwilliams or someone to do it. At least Id be able to understand his accent and he'd deal with the options sensibly. Hopefully the last episode will be better but not holding out too much on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What was number 1? I couldn't bear to watch his ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

wyndham wrote:
    What was number 1? I couldn't bear to watch his ****e.

To Go "Find Yourself".
    :rolleyes:
    L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Eddie Hobbs should go 'find himself'

BendiBus wrote:
    Eddie Hobbs should go 'find himself'

I heard it can be confusing to be suddenly smothered in money. Not a bad earner for one guy. Mind boggle swhat you experts earn?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

yeah, it was a load of crap. I think people are losing interest in Hobbs and he seems to be more interest in being a comedian rather than a financial analyst. hopefully we won't see him on TV again .....

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement