Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Law governing Quad bikes on public road!

Options
  • 02-10-2006 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know exactly what the law is regarding using a quad bike on the road for leisure/personal use in ireland?
    Are they any websites in which to check up about it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

A person I know was fined and got an appearance in court for driving his quad bike 50 yards up the roads between fields so obviously they are not legal to take on the road. I am not sure what the situation is regarding tax and insurance, but I guess there is some way to legalise them for road use if your are prepared to lighten the wallet a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The regulations governing vehicles in a public place are given in Statutory Instrument 190 (1963) and 79 (1965)- Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations 1963/1965.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI190Y1963.html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI79Y1965.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

AFAIK - any vehicle of any kind must be registered, insured and taxed. If it meets all three requirements then it is fully entitled to use the roads. But if any one of the three is missing then it is an offence to drive the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

AFAIK - any vehicle of any kind must be registered, insured and taxed. If it meets all three requirements then it is fully entitled to use the roads. But if any one of the three is missing then it is an offence to drive the vehicle.
    How do you actually register your quad?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You need to get a form to register the vehicle with the Vehicle Registrations Office in Shannon (RF101 ???). Once you get a Vehicle Licencing Certificate you can apply for tax and insurance. You will be issued with a Vehicle Regisratation Certificate (VRC) which will tie your reg number to the VLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think you also need to make sure it has lights and indicators on it.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

so the next question is...does anybody have a quad that is fully road legal?...ie indicators, mirrors, licence, tax and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've seen a number of fully "lighted" and registered quads on the roads, think they were all "farm" type quads rather than raptors and the like. You could enquire with your local Motorbike dealers about a kit. I imagine your best bet would be to go for LED lights all round as they would have minimal drain on the battery.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35 slaxbolts

lads, you do know (if you live in the country side) you can register your standard utility quad as an agricultoral vehicle (which means you don't pay tax) so its basicly free (apart from the actual registering it on the road) and you can operate one legally at 16 years old, The only thing I don't know is if helmets are complsary, i know people who have registered it on the road and don't were helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Zombiethread. Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Yes quads can be made road legal, as long as they have lights and indicators (not sure about what type of tyres you need) you can register it and insure it.
    Thers a guy that used to live on my road who had a 650 banshee registered and drove it during the summer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Please don't drag up old threads. You're more than welcome to start a new thread.
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement