Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will I or wont I?

Options
  • 02-10-2006 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a new guitar amp on a very limited budget. Looking at getting a half stack. Have any of you ever used Ibanez Amps? im going to get a solid state head for now, eventually buying a JCM800 or something. This Ibanez caught my eye purely from a cheapness point of view.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/tb100-head-+-stack/9682

Have you any other suggestions? Im looking for a good classic tone, good bit of low end. Dont like the thin tone you get from fender amps etc.

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

i play an Ibanez SZ520 if thats any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

To be honest the Fender amps I've heard have been anything but thin, generally they've a thicker, warmer sound than Marshalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

the only fenders ive played have been Devilles, champions and blues juniors, didnt like any of them. i find they have an extremely harsh tone, i much prefer the warmth of playing through a larger cab. so the head-cab road is the one for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i wouldn't bother to be honest,then again i wouldn't buy an amp unheard!!
    save your money and get something valve if you want warmth(though i'm sure some solid state stuff could do the job these days)
    ,you don't really need a second cab yet either,i'd much rather a decent cab loaded with efficent speakers than two with crap speakers
    anyway i'd go secondhand BTH...

hmm, i know what your saying about saving etc, but i do have to buy fast. Its the head im more interested in getting advice about. A Marshall cab with four celestions is only around €340 on thomann.. there is also this head that im interested in:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/randall_rx120d.htm

I will, in the long run buy a good tube amp, a long way off. but I do need a temporary solution fast. So if any of you know a good cheap solid state head that you have tried and tested, that would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

novarock wrote:

Have you any other suggestions? Im looking for a good classic tone, good bit of low end. Dont like the thin tone you get from fender amps etc.

That looks like you'd just be paying for the size, rather than anything else.

If you're on a budget, you could go for a Peavey Valve King combo, or if you were set on getting a half-stack, how about the Valve King Head & Cab? You'd probably get a lot more bang for your buck there, compared to the Ibanez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

novarock wrote:
    I want to buy a new guitar amp on a very limited budget. Looking at getting a half stack. Have any of you ever used Ibanez Amps? im going to get a solid state head for now, eventually buying a JCM800 or something. This Ibanez caught my eye purely from a cheapness point of view.

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

i play an Ibanez SZ520 if thats any help.
    Ill shoot you if you buy that piece of sh1t

Ill shoot you if you buy that piece of sh1t

You wouldn't have to, he'd already be shooting himself in the foot if he bought it.

How about the OP buys an Engl thunder combo for the same price as that stack.

[/thread]

How about the OP buys an Engl thunder combo for the same price as that stack.

[/thread]

Yes, that would be immesurably better.

Marshall JCM 800 2205. Munster Limerick
    50 wall tube head, as used, by tom morellorage against the machine & audioslave, 750. [save ad]

two minutes found this in the B&S,get the head first then worry about the cab!

• Advertisement

Oh fúck! anyone good for a loan?

karl i like the smell of what you're cooking. Ive decided against the combo option after a lot of trying and testing. From playing gigs sharing backline with other bands, Ive gigged easily 30 different amps, all makes and models. Every time the half stacks sound better hands down. (also tried various brands of them). A cab projects itself a lot better from the stage, and gives in my opinion a much better tone for me. Im going to try and get a listen to one of those Peaveys in dublin, I believe waltons stock them.

The rest of the band are also upgrading to the same spec, alas they have more money, so can afford better amps, but im on a seriously tight budget. Ill try that head through a marshall cab with celestions and see how it sounds. Cheers for the help lads,

Kevin

found this on thumped!

Hi.

For sale: Marshall 1936 2x12" cab, dual mono or stereo operation

Basically this was used for one week with a VOX-AC50 head for a recording session, was never used again and has since simply been taking up too much room in my house.

It's in brand new condition, just name your price and take it away. No reasonable offer refused.

{No thanks - feylya}

Thanks!

looks good,i've a matamp 2x12 with vintage 30's and a '68 marshall basketweave 4x12 with greenbacks,it's great to have varity but the matamp is much handier and useable at home!

Have you HEARD a 50w engl combo? Honestly I think its the image youre after, dont underestimate the power of a 50w valve combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Just giving this a shout. Great amp for the money :D

Beecher wrote:
    Just giving this a shout. Great amp for the money :D
    +10000

Good enough for Paul Gilbert...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Good idea of the Laney sound here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

How about the Laney LC30. Class A valve and affordable. You can always plug into a cab too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Beecher wrote:
    Good idea of the Laney sound here.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It can sound much better than that :D

Advertisement