Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bebo ..... a voilation of privacy??

Options
  • 01-10-2006 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Ive just been looking at a few bebo sites there and its scary how much you can learn from looking at the site a of friend of a friend of a friend (etc). Its a bit like looking at someones texts. As I said in PI in a previous post I made the mistake of looking at the ex's Bebo and it was like trying to look away from a car crash.

So is Bebo going to lead to things like stalkers for some people and how far away are we from something nasty happening as a result of someone learning too much about someone else on Bebo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

People are stupid enough to put up their phone numbers and address, its their own problem. You aren't forced to sign up for an account and can close it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

Well i dont think its a violation of privacy, i mean u can choose to have your profile to be private, and that only ur friends can view it. but u have a point, most people dont choose that and by reading the comments u can find out alot, but i guess as long as you dont give ur address online u should be ok enuf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

mine, like most of my mates, have a lot of pics. and quickly perusing the comments will usually lead to some clues as to what the person does for a living or whatever.

there is an option to make the bebo site private. other then that, if you're worried bebo is a violaiton of privacy, then you clearly shouldn't join in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ruu wrote:
    People are stupid enough to put up their phone numbers and address, its their own problem. You aren't forced to sign up for an account and can close it.
    Exactly.
    Its the internet, if you choose to put information about yourself on it then you've to accept the fact that people may just read it. You've also to accept that the people who view the information may sometimes not be normal, friendly people and it'd be extremely naive to think otherwise.

Regarding Bebo alone, everyone knows how easy it is to access those pages, and with sites like bigulo.com it makes things even easier. You choose to have a bebo page, you choose the content therefore you accept that people are going to view that content and its up to you to deal with any consequences that arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

its not just places like bebo/myspace...

put in the full name/username of someone on boards.ie for example into somewhere like google and chances are you'll find tons of results about them, especially if they have a unique name/username that they use to join other websites with. from bebo/myspace/blogs/online forums/personal websites and more.... it's pretty scary alright how connected many sites on the net actually are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I posted up all my most intimate details, and still no stalker :(
    Sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How can Bebo be a voilation of privacy if the information is volunteered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

biko wrote:
    How can Bebo be a voilation of privacy if the information is volunteered?

I think sometimes users dont realise how that information can be used like for example if someone famous is foolish enough to have a Bebo, and there's tons out there that do. Even more so on Myspace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

It's ok biko. The OP clearly doesn't understand what constitutes as a violation of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

too bad if you're too stupid to use the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

There's no privacy as you're clearly making the information available. If you don't realise you're doing it... well, that's natural selection in operation. I, for one, welcome this cleansing of the gene pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Saskia wrote:
    I think sometimes users dont realise how that information can be used like for example if someone famous is foolish enough to have a Bebo, and there's tons out there that do. Even more so on Myspace.
    From what I've seen, celebrities and bands publish little or no personal information on their bebos/myspace pages, so how exactly can the information of their upcoming albums/gigs etc be used that would consitute a violation of privacy?
    They have sense when it comes to using the internet.

Its really just a case of using common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"If you don't want it read, don't write it"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I think it tells young people they should keep their account on private. Besides, it's all based on the persons decision of wether to put the info up. On mine I just have my likes and dislikes and photos of a few holidays.

I tell you what. You use my account, hunt me down and then when you jump on me from behind yelling "told ya so!" then I'll agree with you

Ok fair enough. I understand people think Im been way OTT but I'll give it 6 months before Bebo hits the tabloids for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Saskia wrote:
    Ok fair enough. I understand people think Im been way OTT but I'll give it 6 months before Bebo hits the tabloids for all the wrong reasons.
    it's already been in the tabloids.

Oh and why was this moved? its hardly a cool vid, pic or link :confused::confused:

Cremo wrote:
    it's already been in the tabloids.

"for all the wrong reasons"! As in a really bad headline. Trust me, Bebo is gonna end in tears for someone. Its like reading someones diary :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

and i'll be the first one to laugh at the poor idiot, i'm sorry but i agree with syxpak: "If you don't want it read, don't write it"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You've really missed the "social network bashing" train. It left months a go. Now you just look like an idiot...

Trust me when I say Bebo was much more dangerous when it was initially created. I ran some social experiments on it back in the day and they have made many changes to it since, making much safer. Everything is clearly labelled, you are warned several times that your information will be public and you can choose to flag your profile as being private. It isn't Bebo's fault if someone chooses to ignore all the warnings and safety advice that they offer and end up getting raped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I like bebo for the stalking. I ound my best friend from 4 years ago and saw all what she was up to and looked like now, all without her knowing. Hurrah for Bebo!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

a woman used myspace to find out about her ex's new girlfriend and took out a hit on her. but as people have said, if you don't want it read, don't write it. its not a violation of privacy if you post the information publicly on the internet

Advertisement