Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collins research

Options
  • 30-09-2006 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Howdy ;)

I mentioned it in the 'history quiz' thread that I was doing some research into Michael Collins death and hoping to put together a few video's on the subject(most likely for YouTube etc). What I am looking for from ye good folks is ANY, and I mean any pictures of Collins related items, pictures from Beal na Blath (Mick86 was kind enough to send me a few, cheers :) ), pictures of Collins items from muesums etc etc etc.

I havent had the fortune of visiting Collins barracks in Cork or any of the muesums in Dublin as of yet, but perhaps someone has some pics from there that would prove useful.

Thanks for any help...

CroppyBoy1798

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I added a short video, a sort of 'sampler', there will be another few video's soon looking into the days before his death and the day itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGBSJTuI-w

While I'm here maybe someone could help me, I read in a couple of books that Collins was ambushed near Stillorgan on the 18th of August, and on the 19th was involved in a motor accident.

Can anyone from those particular area's verify those stories or have any more to add? I've read a lot of books and only ever seen it mentioned once or twice and not in any great detail.

Cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Are you looking for present day pictures of Beal na mBlath? If so, I might have a few lying around.

By the way, what exactly are you trying to do with this? Or is it just a side thing you're doing?

Are you looking for present day pictures of Beal na mBlath? If so, I might have a few lying around.

By the way, what exactly are you trying to do with this? Or is it just a side thing you're doing?

Present day pics would be great Aedh, I took a few a couple of years back, but with a dodgy disposable camera, so they didnt come out so good.

What am I trying to do, I guess its just a side thing I'm doing (a topic that I've been interested in for many years), and maybe eduacate a few people in the process too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Interesting. Sorry for being critical, but you should watch your spelling :( "there positions" (their)
    Jim.

JamesM wrote:
    Interesting. Sorry for being critical, but you should watch your spelling :( "there positions" (their)
    Jim.

Cheers James, I never noticed that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I can mail you some as i live there. The last picture of Collins outside the Munster arms is in the national archives.

I can mail you some as i live there. The last picture of Collins outside the Munster arms is in the national archives.

If its no trouble Mrs MacGyver, I'd really appreciate it, cheers ;)

I added another video if anyone wants to take a peek :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHO7yhP3VP8

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭nubbintom

Speaking of Collins, anyone got real good high-res imges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

CroppyBoy1798 , I have recently rediscovered some photos that were taken , I suspect , by my grandfather (who was born in 1907) although maybe he didnt take them . Either way they were passed down to my mother and appear to be photos of the Civil War / War Of Independence mostly (Four Courts , Sackville St , Henry St and 1 or 2 I cant yet identify ) and a few that I believe are of the funeral of Michael Collins , especially after viewing your footage on youtube . Apart from the funeral pics , which are obviously of interest to you , there are a couple of the armoured car 'Slievenamon' , which accompanied the man for the most part of his final journey - these pics are of Slievenamon in battle station on Sackville St .
    I have scanned these photos and have them on my hard drive - PM me with your email addy if you want them . Same goes for anyone else - I think its a shame for these photos to go unseen but we have offered them to Collins' Barracks ( hosts to the Military history section of the National Museum ) and when the guy eventually deigned to come out of his office his attitude was as if we were trying to sell them to him and all we got was a "We'll call you if we want them" !
    Anyways , rant over lol ! All are welcome to receive/host/share these :)

• Advertisement

PM sent nessyguin, thanks a million ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Impressive video's croppyboy. Don't know if it's intentional or a problem with the vid but it goes blank at 6.30 mins, the music plays on though. I've had an interest in collins for years, actually an interest in all things war of independance/civil war. Love to know where you got the video clips and I'd be particularly interested in hearing what collins sounded like, a speech or whatever, I've always wondered.Is video footage of that time generally available?Anyway, keep up the good work, unfortunatly the only pics I have are ones included in books on the subject, I've quite a few of them.

Cheers for the comments dubtom. Yeah the last video I forgot to cut it, so the music runs on, you dont miss anything though.

I have another few to do, dont know what way to go about it though, maybe a short one on his activities on the 21st of August alone, then the big one....the 22nd, and a few after that looking more indepth into the actual ambush, posistions, weapons etc etc.

The video clips I got were off of 'British Pathe', just go onto there site and type in 'Michael Collins', 'Civil War' etc etc and there are loads to choose from, you can download 'preview clips' for free, those are what I used, but being free the quality isnt great, plus the watermark.

As far as I am aware there is no known recording of Collins voice, the question has been asked in here a couple of times, but with no definate answer.

Keep an eye on my channel for more Collins video's.....

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

There's another topic on Collins audio, belief is that there's no actuality of him

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

CroppyBoy - the videos are excellent. Well done. A lot of footage there I have never seen before and I never knew that Collins was ambushed in Stillorgan.

very well presented.

Cheers Dummy, glad you enjoyed them. I'm after falling a bit behind with making the next one, I'm kept going with college work etc, so it may be another while before the next instalment ;)

About the ambush in Stillorgan, I couldnt find much reference to it, only a couple of books mentioned it, but then as it said on the video Collins wasnt too happy when he was told that the incident was 'not of sufficent interest for publication'. The car he was most likely in at the time was one of his Rolls Royces, he did have a couple of touring cars. It obviously wasnt his Leyland Eight as he had that on his final journey.

Advertisement