Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time work

Options
  • 29-09-2006 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know of a cafe or restaurant anywhere that would employ fifteen year old TY student for waitressing in Dublin city-centre or Dublin South, around Mount Merrion and Dundrum or anywhere near? I'm looking for dosh badly, and if anyone else in TY looking for a job could help me on my task, please post here.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I don't think anywhere would take you as the legal age to work is 16, so if they did take you on they'd be breaking the law... and I doubt they wanna do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brownbread

nah its possible to work in some places if you're 15 and in TY,only they only pay you €6/6.50 an hour[a good €1 below the minimum wage] and you can work only 16 hours for about €100 a week,besides you prob will have to work long saturdays and evenings

im actually trying to get a job in super valu in mount merrion,a guy i know works there whos 15,good luck anyways with the job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Cliodhna if you go to customer services in the Dundrum Town Centre they will give you a list of places that are hiring.

Oh and don't forget to not mention that you are 15, only say it if they ask you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

brownbread wrote:
    im actually trying to get a job in super valu in mount merrion,a guy i know works there whos 15,good luck anyways with the job

I was thinking of getting a job there, I live very near, do you know what the money's like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jello wrote:
    I don't think anywhere would take you as the legal age to work is 16, so if they did take you on they'd be breaking the law... and I doubt they wanna do that.

they are allowed to work for a set number of hours lower than that of a 16 year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I see... apologies.

Yeah that's why I don't have my DOB on my CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brownbread

I was thinking of getting a job there, I live very near, do you know what the money's like?

yeah as i said its about 100/105 euro a week for 16 hours,i know its not loads but its still money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I got a job at 15, its legal if you only work 8 hours a week and you're paid 5.36 or over apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Does anyone know a place in town I could get a waitressing job, or a retail one, like in one of thse cute little nooks and crannies in Temple Bar or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I wouldn't call 100 euro a week ****e money, when i got my first job in TY is was getting 1.75punt and hour and about 20 a week, that was only 11years ago. try super valu in churchtown also, they go through staff like you wouldn't believe.

Everywhere in town is hiring atm. I had an interview in All Saints in the powerscourt centre yesterday, and I've handed in CVs to a load of places.

I'm on 30 - 50 a week. Sucks tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Rozabeez wrote:
    I got a job at 15, its legal if you only work 8 hours a week and you're paid 5.36 or over apparently.
    Yes correct except its 5.46:p

I started working as a 15 year old last year.
    You can only work 8 hours a week during the school year.
    Im still on the same amount I started with now though even though im 16 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I worked in the local Spar when i was 15 last year during the Junior for about 8 or 9 months. I was on 5.36 and hour, and 7.36 on sundays.
    I worked about 20hours a week usually..

I left that in December last, and was offered a job in Office on Grafton Street as Xmas staff.
    The money was great, 9.60/hr and 11.45/hr on Sundays.
    They were kinda assholes to me though, as I was clearly the youngest. [16]
    After the January sales, the Xmas staff finished up, and they said they'd keep on some people. I put my name down, and they rang me two weeks later saying that they'll have no shifts for me till after Feb.
    **** that.

I was on work exp then, so I didnt really go job hunting.
    Went on the French Exchange in March, so when I got home, pulled out all the stops.

I was working doing market reasearch with a mate on Upper Leeson St.
    You know the assholes you ring you up and ask for a few minutes of your time to answer a few questions? Yeh, thats me =/
    I dont mind really.. its a tenner an hour! =]

I handed out 6 cv's over the Easter Break, and got 2 calls later that day.
    BT2's and Bershka.
    Offered interviews in both places the following day.

Bershka offered me a job 15 min after my interview.

Been working there about a month now.
    Its exhuasting work, constantly folding clothes, and tidying.
    As soon as you tidy a shelf, or table and turn around its messy again :mad:

The staff there are really nice though, andi got cake yesterday as someone was leaving... I didnt even know her that well and she gave me cake!

/rant

Most part time jobs are going to be terrible until you're qualified. The place I worked for about 15 months was horrible: screaming kids, moany parents, thingy breaking, asshole boss, low pay, exhausting work, ugly uniform.

I'm applying to a cinema tomorrow for after the LC, probably just as bad but higher pay and my old supervisor works there now, so it'd be cool for myself and him to be on the same level again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

from the summer ill be on about 300 a week.. nice:D
    love my job.. its so cool!!(opticians)

Advertisement