Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im looking for a good Luthier

Options
  • 29-09-2006 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a good luthier to make me a classical guitar.
    ANyone know any??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rmooney

If you want to get a guitar made you are generally talking very big money and a long wait.

In Ireland (the Island) the best known Luthier is probably George Lowden. George makes classical and acoustic guitars. I havent played his acoustic guitars but judging by their sound (as played by David Grey, Paul Brady, Pierre Bensusan etc) they are really great instruments.

I'm lucky enough to own a hand-made Lowden classical guitar and I have to say it is really a beautiful instrument. The finish is of the highest quality and the sound is extraordinary. The top on this guitar even resonates when there is noise (even people talking) in the room. The down side is that these guitars are expensive if you arent a serious player (5K sterling start price) and there is about a 9-12 month waiting list.

Other classical guitars I have seen that are really exceptional are those made by Garcia and also Kwackle(not sure about the spelling) (Dutch Luthier). The Kwackles are probably the best I have seen/heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Capo4

One of the world's finest Luthiers is Irish, Michael O'Leary. World renowned for his classical guitars. John Feeley plays one as does Berta Rojas, in fact I think most of the world's biggest players are playing them. Have both a Cedar and Spruce myself, although they are hard to get as the waiting list is very long. Nothing compares to these intruments. www.olearyguitars.com

Advertisement