Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards

Options
  • 29-09-2006 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

At this stage I dont care what the best card is, I just need any credit card.

Im going to the states for two weeks at the end of next month (3.5 weeks from now) and so far both MBNA and my own bank (Ulster Bank) have declined my credit card applications. I've just applied on the bank of ireland website in hopes of getting one and im appealing my own banks decision through my branch at the moment.

Why am I finding it so hard to get one? Im 19, full time employment for a year now this month, I earn just over 23k before tax, only 600 outgoings a month... and yet im being declined? Can anyone see any reason in that?

Where should I look to next to get a credit card before I go away?

While its not necessary for me to have one as I do have the cash, id rather bring a card than $2000 in cash in my wallet travelling around!!

Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

mbna is the easiest to get.try get one from the bank you have an account with

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Maybe Graduate credit cards would be easier to get, via easier critera?
    There's been a few tales on boards.ie of how some people graduated and immediately applied and got a graduate credit card with 2K:).

Surely since you've been working for some time a graduate credit card shouldn't be too hard to get?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Champ wrote:
    Surely since you've been working for some time a graduate credit card shouldn't be too hard to get?;)

Slight problem... Aren't graduate credit cards for people who have just graduated?

xebec wrote:
    Slight problem... Aren't graduate credit cards for people who have just graduated?
    yes and credit limit is crap on all these student cards

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

*Shrugs*

I graduated last year, and the UL Alumni letter i received this year had an AD for the UL affinity credit card.

Here's what they're talking about:
    http://ulaa.ul.ie/?affinity

Okay technically its not exclusively a graduate credit card since its an affinity card which staff and faculty can also get, but its something you can only get if you graduated from been a student;)

• Advertisement

Champ wrote:
    *Shrugs*

I graduated last year, and the UL Alumni letter i received this year had an AD for the UL affinity credit card.

Here's what they're talking about:
    http://ulaa.ul.ie/?affinity

Okay technically its not exclusively a graduate credit card since its an affinity card which staff and faculty can also get, but its something you can only get if you graduated from been a student;)
    i didnot mean crap as in crap i meant that the limit is not that high.and it will take a long time to get it increased whereas if you apply and donot say you are a student it doesnot take long to get a good increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

drdre wrote:
    yes and credit limit is crap on all these student cards

No offence but most people do not need a €4000 credit limit on thier cards. And most people should not get such a limit either.

The OP wants a card to go to the states. They have already stated that they would rather not carry $2000 in cash. They could easily get a card with a €500 - €1000 limit and add €1000 to the balance which would effictivly give them a €2000 limit.

Oh, and once you have a card, I don't think there is much hassle in getting the limit increased. They are more than willing to do that. It is the initial hurdle of getting a card that is the problem here.

L.

nereid wrote:
    No offence but most people do not need a €4000 credit limit on thier cards. And most people should not get such a limit either.

The OP wants a card to go to the states. They have already stated that they would rather not carry $2000 in cash. They could easily get a card with a €500 - €1000 limit and add €1000 to the balance which would effictivly give them a €2000 limit.

Oh, and once you have a card, I don't think there is much hassle in getting the limit increased. They are more than willing to do that. It is the initial hurdle of getting a card that is the problem here.

L.
    actually you can mostly get an increase every 6 months, and not by that much.i know as i have afew cards.and i know people donot need large amounts but a student card is not the way cause its only about 800 euro limit.and he is going away soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

rather bring a card than $2000 in cash in my wallet travelling around!!

Travellers cheques?
    Debit card and put the money in the account?
    ATM card with a cirrus/international use ability?

Advertisement