Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Costs

Options
  • 28-09-2006 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at building costs for a new house (dormer) in north Kildare. This is just an initial enquiry to give me an idea of what is involved. Some input from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.

Firstly, I know there are many hidden costs, but what are these likely to be? Things like septic tank, connection to mains water and ESB (both close by), Architect fees, cost of initial planning application, legal fees and anything else I have forgotton.

I have limited building experience. Is it a lot cheaper to sub-contract the building work or to employ a builder to handle the whole project. If sub-contracting is it a good idea to have an architect to project manage the whole thing? If one builder did the whole thing, any idea of cost for 2500 sq ft dormer?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Don't forget that if you obtain planning, there will be a levy of some kind (called Road Improvements in Louth and Meath, not sure what it's called elsewhere). This can run from 2/3K upwards. I'm sure there are other people out there that will know the figures for other counties...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Off the top of my head.

Delevopment Levy to be paid when planning is approved. €18,000 (includes water connection, roads, schools, amenities etc). You will get a credit off this if you are supplying your own sewage treatment stystem.

Sewage treatment system approx €4000.

ESB connection fee approx €1400. Apply as soon as you start work as they take ages.

Architecht fees: Why bother, get a technician to do your drawings. €1500 to €2000.

Planning application fee €65

Engineer to sign off for stage payments €2000 to €3000

Percolation tests €400. Required for planning application if installing sewage treatment system.

Buildcost : Contractor €100 to €150 sq Ft depending on the finish you want
    Self Build/Direct Labour €80 to €130 depending on finish.

What stage are you at? Do you have a site? I finished a self build in North Kildare in April so if you need more specific information, drop me a PM and I will check out my files.

Good luck with the planning:o

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi Squire 1,

Many thanks for the reply. i certainly will give you a shout with lots of questions. You will be sorry you offered :)

Thanks

Advertisement