Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PostGraduate Grant?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

Not what you want to hear, but I think it highly unlikely you could obtain any form of grant after having started a one-year degree. People who have not started will definitely be ranked above you because the grant awarders will assume you knew the costs before you undertook to join the masters. I say this because I think chasing grants would waste your efforts, and not to be unkind.

Other options:

Check all your benefit entitlements (unemployment during holidays, special needs, rent supplement), unlikely but quick to check, just go to Hanover Street with your PRSI number
    Look for research assistantships in the same area, especially if you want to follow on to a PhD, so you can finish the masters while employed
    Research funding - is your masters thesis topic interesting to any community group, charity or business who might support a researcher element?
    If you MUST work, look inside the department and university first (filing, marking, lab supervision, assisting research), make it relevant and applicable to your course

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eoinfitzpatrick

I'm started a masters a few weeks ago and when I was applying for the grant it said closing date was end of september but also stated that certain cases would be accepted after that date. I still haven't gotten all the forms in. It should work if you've been living away from home for over 12 months. Go to your county councils website, find the contacts and apply. Give some beleivable excuse. Theres nothing to loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 justhim

Are you doing a research or taught masters? For research masters students theres is grants in most departments under whats called Departmental Funding. Generally they pay your fees and give you extra funding in return you work for the department, teaching, giving practicals and tutoring. Its in most departments but alot of people dont take advantage of it. The only issue is in most cases applications have to be in before september, however its worth asking about because people can finish research at any time during the year freeing up the grants. Worth a look...

Advertisement