Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavement

Options
  • 27-09-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I found my old copy of Slanted and Enchanted and gave it a spin the other day, I still found it as great as when it was first released. Basically I was just wondering what peoples opinion of this band are? Obviously I'm a fan and have been for years, I think Steve Malkmus is the best songwriter of his generation, but what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Absolutely fantastic. Wowie Zowie (sp?) is my favourite album. I bought the DVD and was a very disappointed with the commentaries by the band of their videos. They come across as a shower of whining kids. Saw them play live in Dublin a few years ago, great gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I was thinking of picking up the DVD, is it the Slow Century one? What sort of things were they complaining about, did Spike Jonze have much to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've only got that lovely reissue of Crooked Rain. Nice album but because so many bands have ripped them off I always found Pavement hard to listen to as for me they're a bit dated. That being said, the song "Here" is possibly one of the greatest songs ever written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

yeah I love that song 'here' too,great eclectic music,country pop rock... you name it they play it with all the zest of the sun and the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

never listened to much of them but stephen malkmus is one of my favourite singer/songwriters . his first self titled solo album is quality thouroughly recommend it. saw him play here a few times also and hes been pretty slick .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Pavement are fantastic. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is one of my favourite albums. They never released a bad album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Really don't get the whole Pavement thing. I'm only familiar with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and Slanted & Enchanted, but to me they sound quite generic. Maybe it's because I've only recently heard them and - as somebody mentioned - their sound has been imitated to death at this stage, but I've never really liked them. I'd struggle to find a song I'd really like, and likewise I'd struggle to find a song I really don't like - never a good sign for a band who are so highly regarded and apparently innovative.

eoinf wrote:
    never listened to much of them but stephen malkmus is one of my favourite singer/songwriters . his first self titled solo album is quality thouroughly recommend it. saw him play here a few times also and hes been pretty slick .

You should definintly pick up some of their older albums if you like his debut album, I'd recommend Slanted and Enchanted as a good place to start.
    Really don't get the whole Pavement thing. I'm only familiar with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and Slanted & Enchanted, but to me they sound quite generic. Maybe it's because I've only recently heard them and - as somebody mentioned - their sound has been imitated to death at this stage, but I've never really liked them. I'd struggle to find a song I'd really like, and likewise I'd struggle to find a song I really don't like - never a good sign for a band who are so highly regarded and apparently innovative.

For me they always had moments of brilliance on every album, 'here', 'shoot the singer' and 'gold soundz' are some of my favorite songs of all time. But you have a point regarding their sound been imitated to death, but hey I've always been a fan so I guess I'm always going to see them as been innovative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Wowee Zowee is my favourite of the five LPs.

Looking forward to the deluxe reissue later this year.

Saw them in the Rock Garden in 1994. Had ticket No 1 - the first and only time that has ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

Yes, fantastic band, bought Brighten the Corners yesterday actually(which sounds great). The messyness of the band is what i love. Listening to Slanted and Enchanted today on the bus and it really has to be one of my favourite records. Start to finish - excellent, zurich is stained, here, summer babe, lorettas scars and hits. Great band and i'm sorry I did not know about them earlier so I could have caught them live,.. Was their temple bar gig is 97(?) their only Irish gig? Anyone know about his solo stuff? Tour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Redegg wrote:
    Was their temple bar gig is 97(?) their only Irish gig? Anyone
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Saw them in the Rock Garden in 1994.

plus
    they also played the Red Box around 1998. Missed that one.
    Redegg wrote:
    Anyone know about his solo stuff?

have
    Stephen Malkmus (good)
    and
    Pig Lib (better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

ahh pavement. what a band! im so proud of them i put my name on them! well, their name on me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 e.doobie

i have crooked rain but iv been told to get slanted and enchanted..

any recomendations?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Probably one of my favorite bands of all time. Very little mention of the later albums, Brighten the Corners and Terror Twilight both excellent albums. Terror Twilight has 2 of the best imo, Major Leagues and The Hexx but as has been said they had no bad albums. Malkmus' solo albums have continued the tradition nicely.

Going to see a band on Saturday that were supposedly an inspiration to Pavement. The infamous Mark. E. Smith and The Fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

musician wrote:
    Probably one of my favorite bands of all time. Very little mention of the later albums, Brighten the Corners and Terror Twilight both excellent albums.

More love for Terror Twilight here. Great album. The only CD I haven't heard is Brighten the Corners but so far their (and Malkmus') track record have been solid.

Reunion rumours currently floating around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

The only CD I haven't heard is Brighten the Corners

You should definitely get Brighten The Corners, it's the album that turned me on to Pavement. If you like Terror Twilight you should like BTC too

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

Dyflin wrote:
    I bought the DVD and was a very disappointed with the commentaries by the band of their videos. They come across as a shower of whining kids

Also wanted to get the "Slow Century" DVD is it worth getting?

More love for Terror Twilight here. Great album. The only CD I haven't heard is Brighten the Corners but so far their (and Malkmus') track record have been solid.

Reunion rumours currently floating around...

Didn't hear this, Woohoo!

If you like Terror Twilight you should definitely pick up Brighten the Corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

din0saur wrote:
    Also wanted to get the "Slow Century" DVD is it worth getting?

Yes, if you're a fan, definetly. A documentary, all the music videos with commentaries, two live concerts with alternate angles, and more. It's one of those wholesome, packed DVD releases that deserves a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

Yes, if you're a fan, definetly.

They have it at cdwow.ie for €20.72 so I'll think I'll take the plunge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Its hard to dislike a band like Pavement, the first three albums makes for some buoyant listening. They don't repeat themselves, all their albums are distinguished artefacts.

Advertisement