Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt/Pepper Mill

Options
  • 27-09-2006 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,
    Does anybody know where I can get a description on how to turn Salt/Pepper Mills on the web?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a very good description of how to do this in "Woodturning - A Foundation Course" by the (late) Keith Rowley (a useful book anyway, not just for this particular project!). It can depend a bit on the exact mechanism used as well, so you might have to modify the procedure a little.

ALternatively I found this. Click on the link under the picture for a PDF of how to make a mill using this mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 KPG

Nice one Alun I'll have a read.Looks like what I need. The mechanism is ceramic but I think I can apply it to this description.;)

Where did you get your mechanism(s) from BTW?

Martin Gleeson in Kilcock. Do you know him?

Yes, I've heard of him, but haven't actually bought anything off him yet.

• Advertisement

He has allot of stuff when you go down to him and his pricing is pretty good for some tools and project stuff but you need to ring him and get prices to compare because he doesn’t have a catalogue.

I've never made one myself either, I have to admit. I suppose it's because there are so many perfectly good commercially available examples out there, it just doesn't seem worthwhile. Plus the mechanisms freely available to the hobby market generally don't come up to scratch. I've got a couple of Peugeot mills which have been going strong for over 15 years, but these mechanisms aren't available separately unfortunately.

Nice one ednwireland. I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just another thing on small orders axminster dont charge shipping so i use them when my local guy doesnt have stuff (i'll be looking at record power stuff tomorrow work permitting http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?s=shows&dc=172
    )
    just the shipping prices on heavy stuff is extortionate i tried to by a lathe for 199 sterling and they wanted 90 stg shipping

• Advertisement

I use http://www.woodturningz.com for allot of my stuff. Who do you use locally? I'm looking for a bandsaw at the moment for as little as possible as I won't be using it for much so I don't want to fork out much.

KPG wrote:
    I use http://www.woodturningz.com for allot of my stuff. Who do you use locally? I'm looking for a bandsaw at the moment for as little as possible as I won't be using it for much so I don't want to fork out much.
    I got mine (a Record BS300) from Richard Gough in Little Mary St. It cost me €540, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd be pretty certain Martin Gleeson would do them as well as the usual culprits like McQuillans. I see you're in Greystones ... you're more than welcome to pop around and have a look if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

local to me is riatts hardware ballybobofey donegal so not much use but hes got good offers on record power this weekend (see previous link in previous post)
    also does straight sterling conversion and stocks sip and robert sorby

Alun wrote:
    I got mine (a Record BS300) from Richard Gough in Little Mary St. It cost me €540, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd be pretty certain Martin Gleeson would do them as well as the usual culprits like McQuillans. I see you're in Greystones ... you're more than welcome to pop around and have a look if you want.

Martin Gleeson is doing a special at the moment on a 12" variable speed one fro €290. It's a SIP. Cheers Alun where abouts in Bray are you ?

KPG wrote:
    Martin Gleeson is doing a special at the moment on a 12" variable speed one fro €290. It's a SIP. Cheers Alun where abouts in Bray are you ?
    I've sent a PM.

Advertisement