Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Mail letter very odd is this supposed to be some kinda trick?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

I keep getting this mail....it's quite odd. I can't figure out what its purpose is Hello,

I feel quite safe dealing with you in this mutual
    beneficial transaction. Though, this medium (Internet) has been greatly
    abused, I choose to reach you through it because it still remains the
    fastest. Am Mr. Miller and i draw and paint for a living.

I have a vacancy in my company. As I am just setting up in the US I will be
    requiring
    Rep to work on a part time basis. i sell Arts all over the world, have
    sold to galleries and to private collectors, I am always facing serious
    difficulties selling my art works to Americans, they are always offering
    to pay with either Money orders/cashiers check, which is difficult for me
    to cash here in United Kingdom.

I just need some one that could help me,
    This position will not take up your time nor
    will you have to use your own resources for the position.
    If interested please reply this mail and find out more......

Reply to my alternative email address which is : j.mill@fsmail.net

James Miller
    London
    United Kingdom
    j.mill@fsmail.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

lol, it's not a trick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Yes.

If you receive any emails with the words "Money orders" or "cashiers check" just delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

100% bonafide spam
    I wouldnt even waste my time contemplating what way they are trying to get your credit card details etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

I knew it was pure ***** but I was intrigued what they were up to, so stupidly elaborate...When you think that people sit around dreaming this stuff up to ultimately try and con people...what a sad pathetic little world it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Don't delete it.

Have a bit of fun with it. Send him an email with one of your friends mobile number telling him you REALLY want to help him. He will, normally a him, ring over and over again!! Great laugh when your buddy is telling you about this weird guy who kept ringing him :)

They eventually stop when they realise the piss is being taken out of them.........AND on the plus side you have wasted some of his money by him ringing several times!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

I suppose you could just use his email address and sign him up to every online newsletter, blog, shop etc.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

they probably have scammer applications, that generate, send, and respond to these emails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

C'mon, it has to be legit. He even gave his home address, 'London', so you would have no trouble finding him to verify his story.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's a scam based on Phishing and I have seen it before. Here is what happens.

1. They ask you to open a bank account with a certain bank.

2. They tell you that they are getting money transferred from customers to your account, your given x% of the money in return you withdraw the money and send it via western union.

What is actually happening is that the person would of phish'ed a large number of bank accounts and when you set up the account your not flagged as a scammer (as your a national, or something to that effect).

They steal all the money by transferring it to the new account you have and you send on the money to them thinking your getting money for nothing.

A few months later the Gardai kick in your door as the money trail leads to you and they get away scot free. Keeping the money means you will probably end up dead if the Gardai don't get to you first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Dear Stranger,
    I am nigerean roylti
    Please ignore the fact that I cannot spell "nigerean" or "roylti"
    I have a big some of money, but the coup people took it away from me. I need you bank account to access it. I will give you 60%

etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Ah, the classic Nigerian scam.. I dont get them anymore. Investment ops, cheap software, cheap drugs and advertise-your-site are all the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Off the top of my head i can remember the addresses of any of them, but there are a good few sites out there that are devoted to leading the authors of these scams on a merry little dance.

"Dear Mr Zuma, I am sorry to hear about your father, Chief Tutu, who was eaten by an elephant. I am also intrigued by hunting expedition that you intend to mount to retrieve the priceless crown jewels that inadvertently lie in the belly of said elephant after he ate you father. I understand you will need large sums of money to hunt this beast, retrieve the jewels and avenge your father. I will be only too happy to provide this. Can you send me more info?"

And so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH. Definitely a load of rubbish.

Advertisement