Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once off selling shares

Options
  • 26-09-2006 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

hey lads

i'm clueless about buying or selling shares, so i've about 2500 vodafone shares which i want to offload....my question is whats the best way to do this seeing as it will be a once off transaction on my part??

i'm not sure if its worth setting up an online account due to setup fees etc???
    is it better in this circumstance to just walk into a bank and sell them there???

any advice appreciated..:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

when u get ur dividend from vodafone they enclose a low cost share dealing form which works quite well.

You may want to wait till the next divi.

if u have aib online banking
    Commission Rates
    Trades up to EUR 25,000 charged at 1.25%
    Balance exceeding EUR 25,000 charged at 0.50%
    Minimum Trade Cost EUR 32.00 [could be the whole lot for 2.5 k vodis:) :) ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

How did you buy them?

i would suspect they came from the eircom debacle, u too young to remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

eircom indeed...:(

what about walking into a bank and selling them...are they gonna pull my pants down and .... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Gryzor wrote:
    eircom indeed...:(

what about walking into a bank and selling them...are they gonna pull my pants down and .... :o
    I'm not sure if you'll be able to sell them through a bank or an independent broker unless you have the share certificates. I presume they are held through some kind of nominee account at present? You would have to arrange to convert to certificate form or transfer your account to another broker/bank to sell, which may incur fees. Your best bet is almost certainly to take advantage of the low-cost dealing offer mentioned above. If you don't have the form to hand, ring the registrar (Computershare?) and ask for a copy of the form.

• Advertisement

forgot to mention i do have the share certificate...must check out that low-cost dealing form...

thanks lads

akaik the low cost option may only be for a ltd period after each dividend payment.

OP: a fiver the lot:) :)

if u search the revenue website u can calc the loss per share so far

if u have a mate who does trade shares u could have him do some in your name and use the losses that you will make when u sell them.

http://www.vodafone.com/section_article/0,3035,CATEGORY_ID%253D410%2526LANGUAGE_ID%253D0%2526CONTENT_ID%253D230992,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

Gryzor wrote:
    forgot to mention i do have the share certificate...must check out that low-cost dealing form...

thanks lads

Try Sharewatch, who will do this deal for you on a one-off basis without the need to open an account, if the deal value is less than €15k.

From their website: http://www.sharewatch.com/smalltrades.php

"The Sharewatch Small Trader Service offers you the ability to buy or sell UK & Irish shares up to a maximum value of €15,000 for a fee of only €50 per trade without having to open and account or register. Registration will be required when the combined transactions reach a value of €15,000 or higher."

Sharewatch are in general, AFAIK, the cheapest execution-only stockbroker in the Irish market at a commission rate of 0.3%

thanks gonk...looks like exactly what i'm lookin for :D

Advertisement