Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ones that got away !

Options
  • 26-09-2006 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭

just a companion thread to the one asking whats the pride of your collection. basically what transformer did you see and nearly get but decided to get next time and they were lost to antiquity!

come on weve all done it. seen trypticon but didnt have the cash, or wanted to order from the argos catalogue only for it to change at the last minute, dropping the one you wanted!

so pour your hearts out lads and ladies, lets hear your tales of woe. i'll throw my 2cents in later :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I only had slag from the dinobots and would have liked them all. btw does anyone know if there was ever a version in comic form where the dinobots could combine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

6th wrote:
    I only had Slag from the dinobots

I never had Slag, but I did see knock-off mexican repaints of the toy called Slut and Slapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Dominatorx

Belle Ende wrote:
    I never had Slag, but I did see knock-off mexican repaints of the toy called Slut and Slapper.
    Sadly there IS actually a transformer called slapper

For me i saw an overlord once but didnt have near enough money (i was 13 at the time )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

every time i go into forbidden planet and see, locked away in that glass cabinet, really old japanese toys that cost an arm and a leg. i intend to buy at least one at some point!

tf_jp.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

I wanted Scorponok and Fortress Maximus badly, used to go shopping with Mammy just so I could pop into Quinsworth and fawn all over the boxes on the shelves. They were quite large too. Sadly, times were hard so neither of them were forthcoming. :(

Has anyone looked up Vintage Transfomers on Ebay? Wouldnt mind either of these now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

I could've had Silverbolt and Ultra Magnus, but I opted not to get them because I hoped it would increase my chances of getting one I really wanted(I can't remember which exactly, possibly Jetfire or Whirl). Unfortunately, I didn't realise that it wasn't available here, so my parents just got me something else instead.
    Also one year I asked for Powermaster Prime, but got one of those Mexican bootlegs of the original Prime that was on the news around that time for having lead paint. Toxic or not, the paint job on it was awful.
    6th wrote:
    btw does anyone know if there was ever a version in comic form where the dinobots could combine?
    Actually, that was the plot of a mini-comic you get free with one of the DVD box sets of the cartoon. It was a kind of 'they can, but here's why they don't' story. Don't think I've seen it anywhere else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Came across a boxed Jetfire in Quinnsworth in clondalkin a couple of years ago and didn't pick it up. It was on a clear out sale and it was up on top of one of the shelves. Always regret not picking that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

One of my faves is Hot Rod and I saw him for sale in a supermarket many years ago for a fiver or so. I ran all the way home, broke open the piggy bank and ran back down only to find out someone had bought him. I still wake screaming from the nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Trode wrote:
    Actually, that was the plot of a mini-comic you get free with one of the DVD box sets of the cartoon. It was a kind of 'they can, but here's why they don't' story. Don't think I've seen it anywhere else though.

Ah I need this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Although not related to not buying things I used to have alot of Tfs as a kid which I really wish I had held on to.

G1: Thunderwing, Sandstorm, Action Master Bumblebee, Grimlock, Jetfire, Quake and Needlenose's Targetmasters, Surge, Airwave, Gutcruncher among others... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

heartbreaking lads!

the ones i missed were generally in the early days. i remember getting my early TFs up in newry cause they werent on sale in the republic. always laugh the first time i went looking and i went into a toyshop, asked the guy if they had any in stock and he tried to send me to an electronics shop:D gas to think theres a time no one knew about transformers. they only had one in stock so i snapped it up.

soundwave!

so any way everytime i went up north with the family i dropped in to get some TFs. im pretty sure i bought an onslaught and brawl which i needed to complete bruticus but on the way out of the store i saw a megatron and jetfire. i managed to get megs when they rereleased him but i never saw a jetfire again:( man it was one cool toy, way better than the design they used in the show (yeah i know they werent allowed cause of the robotech thing but still) and always hoped to get him but alas no

besides that i missed missfire, crap character but the best damn designed jet ive ever seen, and cyclonus. the last of the unicron 3, i just got the money saved up and the damn things got discontinued. damn my restricted budget!:)

i'll be honest the complete bastards to me are the combiners. i love em but you'll damn near have a heart attack trying to track em all down. they never had the whole lot of a team in one place for long. i came this close to not compleating piranacon. ****ing nautilator was a nighmare to find till i scored one in clearys.
    in fact thats the main reason i didnt get abominus and monstructor. the former was a **** to find hun grr, and the pretender monster were never offically realeased here so i never saw the complete set in heatons (a good source of TFs you werent meant to get, almost as good as apollo 1 :) ) usually they just had icepick or slog

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had Scorponok - should still be in the attic at home actually. Had Metroplex too. Really wanted Trypticon though .. kid around the corner had relatives in the States and he'd gotten it there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mate of mines kid brother got trypticon for his birthday from apollo 1 and he trashed it in a week, i almost cried.

they sold skylynx down there too apparently but i never saw him:(

Advertisement