Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MJ Nolan passing the buck once again

Options
  • 26-09-2006 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭

MJ Nolan I read is blaming the IDA for not bringing new employment to Carlow. What rubbish, if he was an effective politician at any level he would be sitting down and discussing the town's needs with the IDA and what it can offer, long before the job losses arose. Afterall his party are in govt and can influence investment in an area if they so wish. It's simply not good enough for elected FF TDs acting like their are in opposition (ala John McGuinness), and blaming everybody but themselves for what they have failed to do themselves.

From Carlow Nationalist;

IDA has ‘let Carlow down’ and must ‘raise its game’ - Nolan

CARLOW deputy MJ Nolan has accused the IDA of letting Carlow down and has called on the authority to “raise its game” in the county.

The Fianna Fáil deputy made his comments following the announcement by Braun on Friday that it was to axe 157 jobs at its Carlow plant.

Deputy Nolan is to meet with senior management at Braun later this week.

He said he was gravely concerned that there now appeared to be doubt over the future of Braun in Carlow. He said he was determined to do all he could to support the workers and their families.

“I have requested an urgent meeting with the Minister for Enterprise Trade and Employment, Micheál Martin to discuss the issue. I will be emphasising to him that Braun workers and their families need every support we can provide,” he said.

Deputy Nolan said that it was with great disappointment he learned of the devastating loss of 97 permanent and 60 part-time positions at the Braun factory in Carlow. He noted that the company used to be a significant employer in the county, employing over 1,000 at its peak in the mid 1990s.

“Carlow has suffered from significant job losses in recent times. This is not acceptable to me. The IDA needs to raise its game in Carlow. We have a state of the art Enterprise Centre sponsored by the IDA, which is now lying empty.

“There are people all over Carlow willing and able to fill jobs in that Enterprise Centre if only the IDA could attract the businesses to our area,” he said.

“Traditionally Carlow was a centre for manufacturing and engineering, but times are changing and the IDA must recognise that change and assist us through it.

“Reliance on low-tech, low-skilled employment leaves Carlow workers very vulnerable to market forces and cheap labour in South America and Asia. The IDA needs to actively encourage Irish industry to invest in Carlow.

Indigenous industry is far more likely to invest long-term and will have an interest in staying in our area,” he added.

At the meeting with the Minister for Trade, Enterprise and Employment Deputy Nolan said he would be discussing the job losses at Braun and the IDA’s disappointing record in Carlow.

He added: “More needs to be done for workers and potential workers in Carlow and it needs to be done now. I am confident that we can rise to the challenge here in Carlow.”

Deputy Nolan is to meet with Minister Martin early next week when the Minister returns from South Africa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bards

He's also called for Berties resignation.......how not to win friends and influence people

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bards wrote:
    He's also called for Berties resignation.......how not to win friends and influence people

This smacks of a non-entity backbencher trying to grap the headlines. Wants to make it look like he's a player in the next election in a desperate attempt to say his seat. Perhaps too he wants to suck up to Cowen if Bertie steps aside (which I think must be inevitable at this stage).

Advertisement