Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unforgetable Ryder Cup

Options
  • 26-09-2006 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hey Guys

I'm glad that you all (well most anyway) enjoyed the Ryder Cup - certainly from the outside it looked like a marvellous event...but not everyone will have the same memories.

Spare a thought for the staff who had to put up with appalling conditions in order to ensure that the event went as smootly as possible. 13 hour shifts with no breaks, not even toilet breaks. Staff fainting and falling ill as they were not provided with meals as promised. If the lucky ones were offered a break - they were given a cold burger to eat and told to get straight back to work.

Some staff members had to take buses at 5 and 6am from Dublin in order to start a 8am shift - working straigth through until 9pm, then having to sit on a bus outside the Kclub for anything up to 2 hours as buses would not leave until full. Finally getting home at midnight only to have to catch a 5am bus again.

In one area the tills were checked at the end of the night and were found to be short by €1000 euro. Every member of staff and their belongings were searched in a degrading fashion and nobody was allowed to leave until this money was found. After over an hour it was discovered that it had been a clerical error on the managements part, the staff were finally allowed go home and no apologies were offered.

The staff tried their best, at times they may had become forgetful or made a few mistakes (the public were very quick to critice) but its not easy to keep going given the conditions.

Well I Hope you all enjoyed the Ryder Cup- we tried our best

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How much were you paid?

I heard you were VERY well rewarded for those few mornings of early starts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

tracy1002 wrote:
    hey Guys

I'm glad that you all (well most anyway) enjoyed the Ryder Cup - certainly from the outside it looked like a marvellous event...but not everyone will have the same memories.

Spare a thought for the staff who had to put up with appalling conditions in order to ensure that the event went as smootly as possible. 13 hour shifts with no breaks, not even toilet breaks. Staff fainting and falling ill as they were not provided with meals as promised. If the lucky ones were offered a break - they were given a cold burger to eat and told to get straight back to work.

Some staff members had to take buses at 5 and 6am from Dublin in order to start a 8am shift - working straigth through until 9pm, then having to sit on a bus outside the Kclub for anything up to 2 hours as buses would not leave until full. Finally getting home at midnight only to have to catch a 5am bus again.

In one area the tills were checked at the end of the night and were found to be short by €1000 euro. Every member of staff and their belongings were searched in a degrading fashion and nobody was allowed to leave until this money was found. After over an hour it was discovered that it had been a clerical error on the managements part, the staff were finally allowed go home and no apologies were offered.

The staff tried their best, at times they may had become forgetful or made a few mistakes (the public were very quick to critice) but its not easy to keep going given the conditions.

Well I Hope you all enjoyed the Ryder Cup- we tried our best

Quit whinging. Did they not tell you about the early starts? Did you not think about how early you had to get up? Did you not check how long the day was likely to be?

Did you not refuse to work if conditions were so bad? Did you not think to bring it to the attention of the media? Did you not raise this in the correct manner with your employers? Did you make an official complaint in writing? Di

Hang on a second, YOU chose to do the job, it was never going to be a stroll in the park now was it? 45,000 people every day, lots of wind and rain, mud everywhere. It would not have taken a genius to work it out that Wind+Rain+Ireland+September+45000 people = hard work!

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭tracy1002

Gee Guys - very obvious that you are elite golfers who never had to experience conditions like this. Yes I have made my complaints and yes I have as of this morning been in contact with the media, and hopefully this will be highlighted.

I'm amazed that in 2006 there is still this us and them mentality and the small mindedness of some people is mind bogling.

How much were we paid? You mean will be paid -have to wait 2 weeks for that!! €10 per hour is not what I'd call well paid - adequate maybe. Some of the cleaners (mostly foreign nationals) were paid 6 per hour (although given your attitude I guess you think thats ok).

Good luck and thanks guys - easy knowing what type of a forum this is!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devrozex

I thought all the marshalls and staff were good anyway. Most of the ones I encountered seemed to be English or American, but they were all very helpful and friendly. Sorry to hear it was slave labour at times, but you did get paid to be at a fantastic sporting event, a bigger one on these shores we are unlikely to see for quite some time, maybe ever:)

tracy1002 wrote:
    Gee Guys - very obvious that you are elite golfers who never had to experience conditions like this. Yes I have made my complaints and yes I have as of this morning been in contact with the media, and hopefully this will be highlighted.

I'm amazed that in 2006 there is still this us and them mentality and the small mindedness of some people is mind bogling.

How much were we paid? You mean will be paid -have to wait 2 weeks for that!! €10 per hour is not what I'd call well paid - adequate maybe. Some of the cleaners (mostly foreign nationals) were paid 6 per hour (although given your attitude I guess you think thats ok).

Good luck and thanks guys - easy knowing what type of a forum this is!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang on a second, this is a labour issue, not a golfing issue.

This is not an eliteist forum, I just think that you should have known that long days were part of the job, if you didn't ask then don't complain, at least not here!

Stewards (voluntary) did a fantastic job. I can't comment on paid staff apart from security people who were ultra professional.

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

tracy1002 wrote:
    Some of the cleaners (mostly foreign nationals) were paid 6 per hour (although given your attitude I guess you think thats ok).

Have you proof of that?
    I work in the sports, entertainment and eventing business in Ireland and I know exactly how much they were paid.

tracy1002, 13hrs was standard for most staff regardless of their job. Personally, I worked 18-19hr days, got 3-4hrs sleep a night and ate all my meals (if I had time to have them) while on the move around the site. Did this for 8 days. Tough week, had it's ups and downs. Was dreading it all year, but got through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I did the job at the ryder cup and got paid €868 for the entire week. How did you not enjoy the laughter and fun. To work at something that is recognised all around the world.

swingking wrote:
    I did the job at the ryder cup and got paid €868 for the entire week. How did you not enjoy the laughter and fun. To work at something that is recognised all around the world.

Based on a 70 hour week that's still over 12 euro an hour

S

Advertisement