Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahayana Buddhist Centre

Options
  • 26-09-2006 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, sorry to bother you again but I have finally decided after to dive into buddhism after years of wandering if it is for me. I have decided from some research that the mahayana (any school really, I'm not too specific) path is for me. Does anyone know of a centre in Dublin. I've looked at a few centres on the net but I'd really like to find a good one. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Sean7 wrote:
    Hey guys, sorry to bother you again but I have finally decided after to dive into buddhism after years of wandering if it is for me. I have decided from some research that the mahayana (any school really, I'm not too specific) path is for me. Does anyone know of a centre in Dublin. I've looked at a few centres on the net but I'd really like to find a good one. Any recommendations?

Well done, and welcome on board. I expect some of the other posters here can point you to a place in Ireland. Take your time and look around, there are many diffrent schools of mahayana so it would help to focus on what aspects of Buddhism appeal to you. Later on you can do as I did and branch out. Before I joind the Boards I was not all that hung-up on Zen, now I see it in a much more favourable light. The nice aspect of Buddhism for me is that one is free to seek for truth without restrictions. If I can help in any way, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

thanks asiaprod, you were very helpful with some q's i had on an earlier thread too. I'd really like to start getting to know buddhism properly before I chose a specific school but I will definately delve deeper once I get the basics down. That's why I'm looking for somewhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Doctor Dee

If its Tibetan Buddhism you;re after, then theres plenty of choice in Ireland. Theres Rigpa on Wicklow street, and around the country in different locations, a network of Sogyal Rinpoche's which offers good introductory meditation and philisophy courses. Authenticity? Dunno. Make up your own mind.

In Cavan there is a centre which is under the auspices of a lama of the Gelug Tradition, the same one as the Dalai Lama, and the one which I have found a great for. They dont have a Dublin Centre unfortunately.

There's a great centre in Inchicore, in the Kagyu tradition, one of the 4 great traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. Visiting lamas, regular medititation sessions and teachings.

The Kadampa crowd have a place too somewhere, but do realise that this outfit have denounced the Dalai Lama and are very aggressive toward him. I'm just saying. How could you have a beef with the Dalai Lama.

Aside from Tibetans, theres the Zen crowd on Wicklow Street, and theres the Western Buddhists on Leeson Street somewhere. And Vipassanna retreats in Ireland, are organised from an office in Ballsbridge somewhere. 10 days of near constant meditation in complete silence.

Just steer clear of the Kadampa types. Their whole thing is scary.

Advertisement