Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effects power chain

Options
  • 25-09-2006 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, bought a couple of effects from the_magician today through adverts.ie and have another on the way (another adverts.ie purchase) and another coming from thomann (a guy in work was ordering so I stuck an auld berhinger on his order to give them a go)

I know there's power supplies you can get with a chain of 9v plugs coming off them from Godlyke and Thomann but is there any of the music shops in Dublin that sell them? I don't have a credit card and pass through town every evening on my way home from work.

I'll need at least 4 powered off regular DC plugs but I also have a Russian Big Muff pedal which is 9v battery only. Now I know I could mod the pedal to put in a plug socket but the biggest mod I've done is reversing the input and output on the Big Muff (for some reason they're the other way around to all other effects so without reversing them which is very annoying in a chain).

Godlyke does this one which goes on the chain.

So, anyone know where I might pick one of these up in town and if they'd have one with a 9v battery snap on it?

I know I could just go into the shops but I don't usually get into town until 5.30 or so and by then all the shops are closing, want to know which shop to hit on my way home.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

What you want is a daisy chain with standard 9v PSU, DC brick, voodoo labs pedal power. There are lots of 9v battery adapters on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

What you want is a daisy chain with standard 9v PSU, DC brick, voodoo labs pedal power. There are lots of 9v battery adapters on the market
    Correct, where might I purchase such a daisy chain? (and also, how much?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Musician Inc. About €6

GStormcrow wrote:
    Musician Inc. About €6
    Cool. I'll hit that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

pedalpower.jpg

heres a pic i made ages ago of how i power my pedals off of 1 boss psa adapter,

the tu-tuner has a power output so u can throw another daisy chain on there.. So i did!

Boss psa adapter is 30€ or so and the daisy chain is 6€

• Advertisement

If you have too much current draw on a simple daisy chan you can over power the transformer. Even if its not overpowered, you still get a load of hum. I recommend a DC brick for hum free regulated power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Yeah, the Boss PSU only puts out about 200mA I think. You wouldn't really want to run more than 4 or 5 pedals off that. You can get universal and 9v PSUs of a much higher wattage in Maplin for around the same price. Just be sure to observe the correct polarity of the various pedals when you're plugging it all together.

You'll get a cleaner DC power supply from a battery anyway so I'd think twice about modding in the opposite direction tbh.

yeah i was told it wasnt possible to do what i done.. but i showed that guy from musicmaker!

its being working grand for a few years :)

I wouldn't have said not possible, just not advisable. Do you ever use them all at once? The psu must get pretty hot.

yeah all the time, i tihnk the tuner helps it a lot...

theres usually at least 4 or so on at any one time

most of em them are fro tonal characteristics

• Advertisement

Well they won't draw much current if the tuner is punched in, but how would the tuner help otherwise?

When I look at it, there's actually only really five pedals drawing. The talkbox is probably just a relay and maybe an LED. I wouldn't load anything else on though!

i have loaded 2 more since on it,

and ive no idea how it helps it didnt break anything and worked grand so its all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

don't be fooled by the "boss tuner as a powersource" myth,it doesn't add to the power equation in anyway,it's merely another socket to run a daisy chain from!

well it works, so lets all be merry and get drunk, Weh hey! :)

I don't approve of alcoholism either.

Drugs it is :) weh hey!

Went to Musician Inc, didn't have a daisy chain, suggested Musicmaker. Went to Musicmaker, didn't have a daisy chain, suggested Perfect Pitch. Went to Perfect Pitch, didn't have a daisy chain, suggested Musician Inc... you can see where this is going...

Finally walked down to Instrumental and they had one for €10. Wasn't in the mood for waiting for Musician Inc etc to get in the €6 ones (as I was told they'd have in soon) so just bought that.

Seems to be working without a hitch. Got some link cables too for €1.30 each so my little effects chain is up and running. Yaaay!

Just be sure to tape off unused power jacks as the short out when they touch metal

Just be sure to tape off unused power jacks as the short out when they touch metal
    Oh, good call :)

One would assume a bit of sellotape over the front should work yeh?

Just wrap insulating tape/sellotape around the barrel/tip (anything metal) I had a problem with shorting before, its not that bad for your PSU but it cuts off power for a second and makes a pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

when I went into musician inc they had two different daisy chain leads. One for around 8euro and one for 15. The guy strongly recommended the 15 euro one. Said it would give less noise and stuff. Could have been a load of bull but ive been drawing 5 pedals off it with no problems. Although it has to stretch a bit!

Advertisement