Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the computers

Options
  • 25-09-2006 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Used for the Computer Science labs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Innisfallen

Block E, Food Science Building...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Block E, Food Science Building...

Really? How do they differ from the computers in the Boole basement? Are they less restricted so you can actually properly install stuff? Sucks if you've found some new program for course work and you have to go home to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Rozie wrote:
    Really? How do they differ from the computers in the Boole basement?
    They're dedicated to Comp Sci students - swipe card access for that year only. (i.e. level one might be for 4th years)

Are they less restricted so you can actually properly install stuff

Of course not - you shouldn't be able to install anything that needs any rights your normal user account doesn't have.
    They should have everything you need for your course installed.
    They also dual boot windows and linux.

What software do they come with?

Where do I get a swipe card?

They come with the usual - email/web browser, java IDEs, c/c++ IDEs, office etc.
    You can get a swipe card from the CS helpdesk on the ground floor of the Kane Building. go in the main door, hang a right and it's down towards the end of the corridor. plenty more info here

• Advertisement

The reason I'm asking is that as I was talking about in the comp science thread, I want to use a program called Multimedia Fusion for my final year project if I can. I guess that's a bit off yet but I'll have to try and sort it out. I might try to get a laptop and use it on that instead.

For 4th year they'll make arrangements for students who need particular software, so don't worry about that. Once 4th year starts they'll talk to you about organising PCs and software.

Advertisement