Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Words Anglicised? Or, English Words Hibernified?

Options
  • 25-09-2006 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Right so, I'll start.

Phrase: "So Long"

One Possible Origin: from the Irish "slán" = goodbye

History:
    When a big pile of Irish folk migrated to America during the Famine, local Americans heard the Irish saying "Slán" to each other. The locals could not quite pronouce the word (with the fada etc...) so it got double-barrelled to "So Long"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You having a laugh? Is he having a laugh?

It's as likely from the Hebrew "Shalom" or arabic "Salaam".
    Also what about the German "adieu so lange", or the Swedish "Hej så länge" "good-bye for now"?

It's possible that some usage derives from the Irish "slán", but it's not a very likely candidate and definitely not *the* accepted source as you're claiming.
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=so+long

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What's this? The Etymology thread?

Hold on, hold on. I'll just go and start the Linguistics thread and moot the idea of the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Although it may not be the only origin of the phrase it is documented by Terry Dolan - author of the Hiberno English dictionary - as one of the roots of the phrase

I'll post up some links if I can find them

What's this? The Etymology thread?

Hold on, hold on. I'll just go and start the Linguistics thread and moot the idea of the forum!

Ok so...

How's about re-naming the thread to deal solely with Irish words and phrases that have been anglisised (sp?) or something of that ilk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

quazzy wrote:
    Although it may not be the only origin of the phrase it is documented by Terry Dolan - author of the Hiberno English dictionary - as one of the roots of the phrase
    While you have the dictionary to hand, can you lookup "Irish ppl"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Here's another possibly-irish-origin one for you. Australians call their chickens 'chooks'. Apparently it's from the early days of the Irish deportees, making lives for themselves. When feeding the chickens, the women would call them: "Tioc! Tioc!" and to this day, Aussie chickens are 'tiocs' (chooks).

pH wrote:
    While you have the dictionary to hand, can you lookup "Irish ppl"?

Post edited above.

I don't have the dictionary. I listen to Terry every Monday on Newstalk and it was one he mentioned a while back and it just stuck in my head.

quazzy wrote:

I'll post up some links if I can find them

Found the podcast of the show where Terry explains it.

Just open iTunes and search for Newstalk.
    The title of the Podcast is "Professor Terry Dolan on Moncrieff" and it's the one about the language of Uncle Sam, about 10 minutes into the podcast.

Also explains the word Phony.

Enjoy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

God, I love this forum already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Smashing, as in smashing orange-y bits and lashings of ginger pop my good man - Is maith é sin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Not sure if this is relevant, but the word "hooligan" supposedly comes from the name of a particularly violent London-Irish family. It could also be derived perhaps from "Hoolighan" or "Hoolihan".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

'Smithereen' comes from the Irish word 'smiodar' which means piece or fragment.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Scraggs wrote:
    More specifically, 'smiodairíní' would indicate small pieces or fragments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Scraggs wrote:
    + "ín" - for 'small' piece or fragment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The english word galore comes from Go Leor, its irish cousin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Damn!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Not so surprisning, but the English word Brogues refers to the hobnail boots that were traditionally worn by Irish immigrants during the mid-nineteen hundreds. Naturally, the Irish were referring to "bróg" in general!

Also, and as a slight aside, the Irish word for nonsense is "béarla".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What about the word 'dig', as in "Do ya dig that, bro?"

It seems it originated in New York. The "Brothers" picked it up from Irish immigrants who sometimes interspersed their English with some Irish words or phrases like "An dtuigeann tú?"

True or Bluff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Slow coach wrote:

It seems it originated in New York. The "Brothers" picked it up from Irish immigrants who sometimes interspersed their English with some Irish words or phrases like "An dtuigeann tú?"

True or Bluff?
    Thats very possible I would say

dig
    c.1320 (diggen), of uncertain origin, probably related to dike and ditch, either via O.Fr. diguer (ult. from a Gmc. source), or directly from an unrecorded O.E. word. Native words were deolfan, grafan (medial -f- pronounced as "v" in O.E.). Meaning "thrust or poke" (as with an elbow) is from 1819; figurative sense of this is from 1840. Slang sense of "understand" first recorded 1934 in Black English, probably based on the notion of "excavate." A slightly varied sense of "appreciate" emerged 1939. Noun meaning "archaeological expedition" is from 1896. Digs "lodgings" is slang from 1893.

[from etmyonline.com]

OR
    Dig
    ETYMOLOGY: Middle English diggen; akin to perhaps akin to Old French digue, dike, trench. See dhgw- in Appendix I. V., tr., sense 8 and intr., sense 3, perhaps influenced by Wolof degg, to hear, find out, understand, or Irish Gaelic tuigim, I understand.

[from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language: 4th Edition]

Slow coach wrote:

True or Bluff?
    Bluffeh the Vampire Slayer. Word.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Dig in the dancing queen'.

When I was at school, many moons ago, a teacher told us that the English word 'glib' meaning smart-alecky could have come from the Irish word 'glib' given to the style of hairstyle worn by the Irish during Plantation times. We've all seen it..sort of 70s looking with a bad fringe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Also, and as a slight aside, the Irish word for nonsense is "béarla".

While we're on the subject, the Irish word for rats and French (as in the people) is the same. (Na Fhrancaigh - my spelling might be off, but you get the idea.)

Faith wrote:
    While we're on the subject, the Irish word for rats and French (as in the people) is the same. (Na Fhrancaigh - my spelling might be off, but you get the idea.)
    Lol.

Link for origins of So Long and Phony; should be about 10 minutes into the show.

Slán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

deas = jazz true!

whats the etymology of nerds :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

TP has a Hiberno-English website, and a wiki. Sorry if that's off-topic, but they're quite interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭GaryOR

http://www.hiberno-english.com/archive.php

here's a Hiberno English archive website thuas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Demetrius wrote:
    Not sure if this is relevant, but the word "hooligan" supposedly comes from the name of a particularly violent London-Irish family. It could also be derived perhaps from "Hoolighan" or "Hoolihan".

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hooligan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

spurious wrote:
    'Dig in the dancing queen'.

When I was at school, many moons ago, a teacher told us that the English word 'glib' meaning smart-alecky could have come from the Irish word 'glib' given to the style of hairstyle worn by the Irish during Plantation times. We've all seen it..sort of 70s looking with a bad fringe.

Spurious, I think that's actually Diggin', as in digging... can you dig it?;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement