Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any carvers?

Options
  • 24-09-2006 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I've had a few pieces of old tree trunks lying in the back yard for a while and while browsing through my woodworking book collection I came across a few on wood carving. It's something I have never tried, although always would have liked to, and have the carving chisels which have been on a shelf unused for quite a while.Although the wood I will be using is wet and rotten in places, the idea is to just have a go and see what happens. Any carvers hang out on this forum, I'd love to hear of your expierences, what you like to carve, any hints on carving or just a pic or two of what you have achieved.I'll be attempting a dolphin, mainly because my book says it's an easy one to start with, I may post a pic if it turns out looking like one, if not, forget it:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi dubtom, I'm not a 'carver' as such, tis just something I've done a few times, I dont know the half about it, just the basic stuff, but then I think a lot of it is common knowledge and 'learn by doing' sort of stuff. Below are a couple of pics of some carving work.

The first one was from '99 I think, juniour cert project with a bit of relief carving on the harp and 'FF' badge.
    283270792a331392068b663854645l.jpg

The next one (and my prized posession!) is a clock I carved for a post leaving cert. furniture making course, its carved from red oak and measuring 24"X16"(at the widest point) approx.
    283270792a331380678b647438289l.jpg

I'd done other various smaller carvings on furniture, floral designs etc in pine, walnut, ash etc. But nothing exactly 'large scale'. What are you planning on doing with them lumps of timber, carving a full figure of a dolphin, or a relief carving of a dolphin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Wow, croppyboy, I'm impressed.Both are impressive but the clock is fantastic. If my effort turns out half as good I'd be delighted. I'm gonna try a full figure dolphin, the wood is big enough, actually it's an elbow of two pieces, I'm hoping for one jumping from the water and one swimming beneath. It may be over doing it for my first try, my thinking is that it being fairly big and a shape that is not too complicted it may turn out.I don't think I could manage a relief like your clock piece, it certainly looks complicted to my eye. I'll post a pic of the wood later, and maybe some of it's progression if I manage to progress:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jelly man

hey im a cerpenter /joiner for 8 years now and make and fit hight class stairs and house hold goodies and i have been toyin with the idea of carvin and wood turnin but need to know a bit more about the tools i would need 4 the job.but the carvin is one i am really interested in so any info would be great thanks

Hi Jelly man,I'm new to carving myself, I have a couple of books that I've been browsing through to get an idea myself. In terms of tools it's fairly basic, a good set of carving chiesels and knives, a bandsaw seems to be a must, a mallett, I turned two myself today and I suppose a book or two.I got a set of cheap chisels years ago, tried using a couple today and they are as blunt as my finger. Good chisels seem to be expensive, in Goughs the other day and the cheapest set was 80 quid, he had individuals ranging from 20 odd up.Knowing which ones to get is where the books come in,their also usefull for patterns and learning techniques as in the drawing/ cutting before carving etc.As i said I'm new to it myself and it's kind of trial and error at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Both Cormie and Karltimber are carvers, I believe. Surprised they haven't jumped in here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jelly man

thats well cool i do not mind spendin the money on a good set of tool cos u would have them,i met a few carvers today and my god u should see the work it would bring a tear to ur eye ,would love to see some more pics if any body has any

In one of the books I've been reading, it's actually from a carving mag in the UK, there is quite a bit on decoy carving, some you would expect to quack their so life like, in a way it's off putting, the time and dedication it must take to reach that level is beyond me. I too would love to see some more boarders efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Heh, I've always been interested in carving but it's the sort of thing that seems to take years to develop a good technique.

@ Croppyboy - for someone who's 'not a carver' you're seriously good. Tell me, if you were carving at that standard by the time of your leaving cert. when unearth did you get into woodcraft? When you were a toddler? I'm 24 and until recently I could barely hammer in a nail. You have my respect, man.

Did you find red oak much different to work than white or Irish oak?

Advertisement