Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AWAKE AT WORK - DUBLIN SHAMBHALA CENTRE: talk & workshop 20 - 22 Oct

Options
  • 24-09-2006 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all. The following may be of interest. Please forward it to anybody you feel might be interested.

Thank you,

AWAKE AT WORK WITH MICHAEL CARROLL & DUBLIN SHAMBHALA CENTRE: PUBLIC TALK AND WEEKEND WORKSHOP 20 - 22ND OCTOBER 2006

Dublin Shambhala Centre is Hosting Author, Teacher in the Shambhala Buddhist Tradition and Management Advisor Michael Carroll to Speak on his Book 'Awake at Work' in the Main Hall, Cultivate, 15 - 19 Essex St. West, Temple Bar, Dublin 2 at 7.30pm (doors open 6.30) on Friday 20th October 2006. Tickets are €15 on the door. To reserve a ticket please mail a cheque or money order for €12 to Dublin Shambhala Centre, 19 Herbert St., Dublin 2 by 11th October.

Michael is also teaching a two day workshop on the same topic in Shambhala Dublin on the subsequent Saturday and Sunday 21st and 22nd October 2006. (see Shambhala website below for details) The cost is €120 (members €100) with 10% discount for registration by 11th October and 30% concession for OAP and unwaged. To register please e-mail info@shambhala.ie

Michael is a well known meditation teacher, businessman and management advisor with a 32 years career on Wall Street with household name organisations in senior HR executive roles.

He's nowadays engaged primarily in teaching, writing and running his management coaching and human resources consulting business. http://www.awakeatwork.net His clients include top organisations like Disney Publications.

His book Awake at Work, 35 Practical Buddhist Principles for Discovering Clarity and Balance in the Midst of Work's Chaos (Shambhala Books, Boston & London) builds from Buddhist slogans or 'lojong' into a manual for personal and attitudinal transformation. He shows that while most of us experience work as a litany of frustration, stress and hassle, it doesn't have to be that way.

He shows that our work actually delivers valuable opportunities for personal growth, increased wisdom and enhanced effectiveness - how with self work we can recover an essential joy at work for ourselves and our colleagues.

For further information see www.shambhala.ie

‘One of the best books ever written about practicing spirituality on the job.’
    Spirituality and Health Magazine.

‘A revelatory book that brilliantly applies Buddhist principles to the life of work and vice versa.’
    Warren Bennis, Professor of Business Administration and founding chairman of the Leadership Institute, University of Southern California.

Ends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Someone asked me if this message was spam. I think it is not, but messages like this should not be forwarded more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ondablade

Hi all, sorry if this created the wrong impression - the intention was just to spread the word to the effect that the event is happening. I can say with certainty that this message is legit. I'm helping Shambhala to organise what is a non-profit (it'll probably be loss making) event.

Call me on 085 3473412 if you have any questions.

Michael Carroll is for real, take a look on the Shambhala or Michael's own website and you will see references to the event there too.

It's an important topic for most of us. Society and the popular culture feed us a set of values which inform many of our attiudes to and behaviours at work.

Trouble is that most of these act to create the ever intensifying dog eat dog environment we are all familiar with. Nor do they supply us with the practical tools we need to navigate these waters with maximum learning, minimum pain, and minimum harm to others while maybe even by our behaviour contributing to changing our workplace into a much more productive and happier place.

There's of course no instant fix, but it does work. Michael has done a great job of showing how to apply Buddhist teachings to the work environment - there's not one of us that can't learn from his message.

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

It seems like the Shambhala Centres are doing a lot of very interesting stuff! I wish we had one where I live (Oslo), so I could have a closer look at it. Seems the nearest one is in Copenhagen and that's a long (and expensive - and boring!) boat trip away...

Good luck!

M.

Advertisement