Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse interference on phone line

Options
  • 24-09-2006 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Do any of you experience a constant interference pulse, caused by a local electric fence, on your dial-up connection to the internet?
    What have you done about the problem, if you experienced such? Eircom say they don't guarantee the quality of the line for data (internet) transmissions, so tough! What might be the best modem settings for to deal with this interference?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

Hi,
    Had the same problem here.. If the interference is visible on the TV or is interfering with your FM radio then Comreg should be called to investigate it but they don't cover telephone lines.
    The best approach is to ask the farmer to walk the fence to check for arcing/sparking. The noise is caused by a spark & usually the insulators are not what or where they should be on the fence or it is touching some weeds. The farmer next to me uses rope on the ends for insulating!!!. When it gets wet it starts to spark as the insulation breaks down. I took the things into my own hands & fixed it myself when the fence was off. I thought it was easier than trying to explain the technical side of it to farmer in his 70's.

I think you can also buy line filters for telephones in Atlantic homecare but not sure if they work for spark ( impulse ) noise..

hope you manage to cure it. our dial up used to connect at 9600bps sometimes because of this driving us mad!!!

good luck

Bob

Advertisement