Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Ploughing

Options
  • 24-09-2006 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Well seeing as we have a Farming and Foresty forum I'd thought I should start a thread on the World Ploughing Championship in my home town of Tullow this week.

We'r expecting 200,000 people to visit over the four days, including the President on Wednesday and Bertie on Friday.

The Gardai have information on their site about traffic and routes: http://www.garda.ie/angarda/press_story1.html

So enjoy the ploughing and enjoy Tullow.

PS someone should start a thread about Tristrames farming generator:D

Comments

All hail the farm generator \o/ :D

Oh thats off topic :D

I'll be there as its only a half hour away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm hoping to get down on Thursday. I suppose we can look forward to the usual calm,warm and dry conditions. :rolleyes: :D

(PS Great to see a Farming Forum :))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sorry Tristrame I couldn't resist.

Oh and a little tip for people travelling to the show, there is normally no problem getting there however if you don't leave a little bit early you could be spending a long time in traffic. 2 Years is took people nearly an hour to get to Carlow which is less than 8 miles away.

Or late.
    When it was in Ferns,I went down at 11,breezed in and at out at 3 - no traffic.

Oh the joys of it being nearby.

Wet on Wednesday but better for the rest of the week if MET are to be believed.

Isn't Tullow great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'm actually really looking forward to it.. also in my home county ¬_¬

Should be good craic!

Why is it on over four days this year? Is it because of the world competition?

Yep the Extra day is because of the World competition. Weather for the event looks bad, Wednesday and Saturday look like being wash - outs with showers Thursday and Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

I'll be there wednesday, thursday, friday and saturday.. working on a stand :(. My third year going there to work, weather is nearly always terrible (was standing in 2 foot of muddy water last year).

Spend most of the time explaining how the equipment works to people who have no plan on buying anything :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What happened to the Department of Agriculture tent? Someone from Teagasc was having a laugh about it vanishing earlier in the week?

• Advertisement

I was intending to get down tomorrow (Thursday) lads, but for reasons I won't go into here, I can't leave Dublin until midday. Am I wasting my time? I presume It will take at least 2.5 hours (travelling from north County Dublin) to get there. Should I forget it?.

I was intending to get down tomorrow (Thursday) lads, but for reasons I won't go into here, I can't leave Dublin until midday. Am I wasting my time? I presume It will take at least 2.5 hours (travelling from north County Dublin) to get there. Should I forget it?.

It won't take you anything like 2.5 hours to get down (M1 to M50 and down the N7/M7). At that time of day the roads around Tullow should have cleared (think its the R138?)

Shane

smccarrick, the tent was blown away in the high winds along with a few more tents and a lorry.

Wishbone if you leave at midday you should get there in under 2 hours, remember its on Saturday as well.

smccarrick wrote:
    It won't take you anything like 2.5 hours to get down (M1 to M50 and down the N7/M7). At that time of day the roads around Tullow should have cleared (think its the R138?)

Shane
    Thanks Shane - I'll play it by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anyone go yesterday?

What was it like?

Same as every other year?

Any notable exhibitors missing, any interesting machines?

Well anyone I talked to that was there yesterday said it was good but very wet and windy, the dancing JCB's seemed popular.

The European Commission have staffed a stand for the first time- hopefully its something that they do again in the future. I have no doubt they are inundated with queries on the various reforms and the WTO negotiations?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

maidhc wrote:
    Anyone go yesterday?

What was it like?

Same as every other year?

Any notable exhibitors missing, any interesting machines?

Was working in a stand for most of it- didn't bother going around to see much cos the crap weather! It seems very big this year, good to see a lot of machinery there again.
    Dread to see wht the car-parks will be like come Saturday! Will prob head again and bring the jeep next time!
    Great site and excellent land- would be fantastic if they got the weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭maidhc

mfitzy wrote:
    Was working in a stand for most of it- didn't bother going around to see much cos the crap weather! It seems very big this year, good to see a lot of machinery there again.
    Dread to see wht the car-parks will be like come Saturday! Will prob head again and bring the jeep next time!
    Great site and excellent land- would be fantastic if they got the weather..

Got a free ticket today so going tomorrow. God help my poor little Ford Focus!

I thought the dancing jcb's were the most ridiculous thing I ever saw.

On the up side-Nuala Carey was looking hot and the sandwiches in the FRS tent were never ending and delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well congrats to eamonn tracey from carlow who came 3rd in the world and also won the national comp.

Advertisement