Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should i pay for a drum kit?

Options
  • 24-09-2006 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

heeyo. just wondering what a reasonable price would be for a drum kit for a live/recording band. another thing too: what are these drum pad thingies like?

and if there is anybody out there who is in a proper organised band.. how much would it cost for the whole setup without renting equipment (ie. amps, guitars, drums etc) --just an estimate like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

depending on the quality of the gear, easily over 5000. dat would b talkin conservatively too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭1der

is that 5000 for the whole setup or just the drums?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Like anything in this life, you pays your money you takes your choice.

If you're a beginner you can pay around €500 - €800 for a half-decent second hand Pearl Export type kit with fairly ok cymbals.

I paid about 5K for a Ludwig Superclassic 4XToms, Bass and Black Beauty snare about 2 years ago. I've probably paid out about 2K for my mix of Zildjian, Paiste and Sabian cymbals down through the years. I usually got my cymbals from the states because a) music shops here are a rip off and b) music shops here sell you the demo-model of the cymbal they've had people bashing and mauwling for the past year as if it was new.

In a studio sitution, a poor kit can be easily made to sound half-decent.

However, don't skimp on your snare, hi-hats and main crash, in that order. These are the items you'll use most.

In a live situation, a kit going through a P.A. can sound totally different out front than it does to you playing it, with or without monitors. It's always handy to bring along a drummer-mate for the sound check so you can hear what your drums actually sound like out front.

There was another thread around here talking about electronic drums, it might be useful for you to check that out.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭dan_y

I paid 300 for a pearl export kit. got it right here on boards. I don't like the cymbals, I don't think pearl really get cymbals, but other than that it's a bitchin' kit. and I have a nice zildjian cymbal I swiped from my old band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

If you want to go the budget option, ie cheapest 'GIG' quality equipment here are some rough prices (audiophiles here will probably moan its too cheap, but the reality is IT WILL WORK, but it will sound cheap):

PA:
    2 X Bass Bin = E300 (Peavey, Behringer)
    2 x Tops = E300 (Peavey, Behringer)
    1 x Mixer = E150 (Behringer)
    1 x Power Amp = E200 (loads of cheap ones)
    1 X Guitar Amp = E250 (nice fender 212 maybe?)
    1 X Guitar = E250 (Yamaha Pacifica, no question)
    1 X Drum Set = E500 (cheaper 2nd hand)
    1 X Bass guitar = E200
    1 X Bass amp = E250
    1 x Microphone = E40 (cheap shure,)
    Misc (leads,strings,straps,cases) = E100

I think thats about E2500 for the absolute cheapest band equipment you can get really.
    Im just the guitarist in my band and Id say Ive paid that out on my stuff alone over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

dan_y wrote:
    I paid 300 for a pearl export kit. got it right here on boards. I don't like the cymbals, I don't think pearl really get cymbals, but other than that it's a bitchin' kit. and I have a nice zildjian cymbal I swiped from my old band.
    Exactly. With a good set of heads (preferably Remo) the toms and bass on an Export kit sound just about as good as anything else.

Pearly don't really make cymbals, they contract out that and generally bundle cheap 'n' nasty badged cymbals so they can offer a complete starter kit. The same goes for the heads you get on their kits.

I'd generally stay away from buying second-hand cymbals because their sound doesn't improve with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'd generally stay away from buying second-hand cymbals because their sound doesn't improve with age.

Unless they're vintages, of course ;)

I'd go with something like an Export, OP, if you're a beginner. You wouldn't really need anything more to start out with. As DublinWriter said, bang some Remo heads on it and it'll be fine to start out with. Then get a starter cymbal pack from someone like Sabian and you'll be set

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'm also in the market for a beginner's kit. Anyone anything to say about Tama? I think I can get some sort of discount on them. I know people :p

Advertisement