Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent construction around dkit

Options
  • 23-09-2006 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Whats all the new buildings around/near the college. I know theres the hotel and the new apartments but whats the buildings nearer the carrols factory and whats the building between the carrols carpark and the college, looks like a restrauant or something but why would you need a restrauant there.

Is the hotel anything to do with the college, i remember hearing something that dkit was trying to upgrade its status or something like that so to speak, it was goign to be a meeting spot for some euorpean academics or something along those lines and the hotel was conditional to this?? I forget exactly what was said but that was the general jist of it. Is there any truth to this, seems a bit strange.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I was thinking the same thing I remember hearing a while back that they were building a restrauant but wud there be demand?

Also the new on campus accommodation looks well

http://www.dkitsu.ie/images/dkitaccom.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

the thing about DKIT is that at first glance it looks all ultra-modern, but at the back it's nearly 30 years old and looks sh1te!

the Nurses building was funded by the Health Department and not the Board of Education, so that's why it looks amazing

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

They actually redid the facade of the RDC (the building on the left as you walking into the main door underneath the Library) to match the look of the library, MPC and Nursing building.

The Tall modern building is going to be a Crowne Plaza hotel, and the other building will be restaurant, conference centre and will contain one or more large amhpitheatres for lectures and seminars.

I left DKIT in 2005 but started in 1999 first and I've seen nothing but change. The Engineering building is just awful when compared with the rest.

Sometimes I wish they'd put money into a high rise car park on campus somewhere - oh and make a proper student bar instead of a ****ty cafe that serves drink.

well the Engineering and computer departments are the next to be modded. the computer dept is being moved to the Carrols Factory with all new state of the art pc's (unfortunatly this will happen after my time there :()

Aye

They told us we'd be doing our final year in Carrolls but that was 2 years ago now. In all though they've made very impressive improvements over the years. And I reckon it won't be too long before they'll qualify to apply for University status. Which would be good because then I could technically change my CV to read B.Sc. from UCDk or whatever... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 messyhouse

Whats the parking like on campus?
    Does anybody know how long it will take me to get from the campus to Slane?

the parking isn't bad. I am not a driver so I don't have first hand experience, but as far as I can see the parking is abundant.

as for your other question, I have never been to Slane, hopefully this will never change :p

just as well i'm only driving thru so!!!

Parking isn't bad if you don't mind parking miles away from where you may have class. I was mostly in class up near the hoey's lane entrance and so tried to get parked in that car park and it was a joke. I was one of the ones who literally threw my car where i could get it. Mates of mine got clamped a couple of times and were caught removing the clamps (took the wheel off) and then were fined 100 euro each cos the dickhead who clamps the cars claimed they damaged the clamps which was total bollocks.

cheers for that! Is there a car park near the creche( rear of the services building)???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I have been trying to find out what they are building behind the the closed down opel garage on the Dublin Road. Now I knew it was some sort of apartments but I never would have guessed it was going to be apartments for DKIT. :eek:

Its become a bit like DIT all spead out over the town maybe not as far but still its not on campus!!

http://www.pjtobin.ie/news2.asp?ID=9

Advertisement