Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st post!

Options
  • 23-09-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Woot!

:d

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rovi fer mod'rater. :) Well done chums. Forums are coming fast and furious today.

hello :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Good luck to my georgeous fiancee smccarrick on this mod role - he may get the "Lumberjack song" a lot when people know about his forestry interests but he is still the sexiest man alive. Love to smccarrick from AC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great to see an Agriculture forum;) . Only gripe I have is why is it not under the Business (Biz) section? Afterall it is first and foremost a business IMO.
    Guess you can't please everybody:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

should we not add fishing to the other two f's ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

should we not add fishing to the other two f's ?

Personally I think Fishing/Fisheries should be freestanding in their own right, and not simply lumped with Farming and Forestry (much the same way that I personally do not think that Food should be in the same government department- as production and consumption are two totally seperate areas with conflicting wants/needs and aspirations).

I had this discussion with another Boards user last week who is very interested in fishing- his comment was that fishing and the fishery industries of Ireland were delibertly run down for political reasons when we joined the EEC, as a pawn to be used in farming negotiations. I was quoted a statistic that though we have almost 37% of Europe's commercial fishing waters, we have less than 3% of its fishing quota....... (I am not sure of these stats- feel free to correct them if incorrect).

Might seperate this from the 1st post thread if anyone would like to discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Personally I think Fishing/Fisheries should be freestanding in their own right, and not simply lumped with Farming and Forestry (much the same way that I personally do not think that Food should be in the same government department- as production and consumption are two totally seperate areas with conflicting wants/needs and aspirations).

I had this discussion with another Boards user last week who is very interested in fishing- his comment was that fishing and the fishery industries of Ireland were delibertly run down for political reasons when we joined the EEC, as a pawn to be used in farming negotiations. I was quoted a statistic that though we have almost 37% of Europe's commercial fishing waters, we have less than 3% of its fishing quota....... (I am not sure of these stats- feel free to correct them if incorrect).

Might seperate this from the 1st post thread if anyone would like to discuss.

its a form of eh what the overiding word agriculture??? you know what I mean

I wonder does this guy think 'livehoods' are more important the depleted fish stocks

Advertisement