Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hair in school

Options
  • 22-09-2006 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

k i dunno where to put this really but its to do with schools so ill put it here!!
    emm is dere any rules about hair in other schools?? ccos in mine two guys were kicked out cos dey wouldnt cut dere dreads..dey were spanish and had been over here for like a week when they were kicked out because of theyre hair! dere was even a protest. its in todays newspaper and everything! anyway does anyone have any views?? oh and dey were hott!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Dreads are cool, don't think they should've been made cut them out. ;) Especially when they've only been here a week.
    In my school, the rules are no died hair, no two blade or lower and it has to be above your collar. But these are always broken and nothing is really done about it. Lots of people have bleached hair, really long hair, undercuts, wild messy hair, don't think there's any skinheads though, so the rules aren't that strict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Clodidah

ya stupid dey were made leave cos none of they students had any objections to de dreads it was only the princepal...all de students wanted them to stay...well the girls did anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey dere dey

ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

What a coincidence! I never read the paper but I happened upon this story in today's Independant. The article said that they chose to leave, not that they were kicked out. Which is true?

And yes, they were bloody hot.

My school has the usual "no long hair, no dyed hair, no bleeched hair", etc. but people get away with all of these. The thing is they also say, "no outlandish styles," meaning basically anything that isn't "normal".
    It's amazing how hypocritical schools can be. "We want to treat you like adults... No hair below your collar,", "Don't make your hair something people see before they see you as a person... Make sure you always look presentable and wear your correct uniform."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Our school doesnt allow "extreme hairstyles" but its not enforced and no one really cares.

• Advertisement

ok dey were 'asked to leave' basicly kicked out! and the princepal also denied that there was a protest... he lies, there was!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

in our school,there is no rule about hair.
    it's all girls,and everyone has extensions,or has it dyed.
    that's about the only thing our school hasn't banned,or put rules on,so most of us take advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

yes theres rules about hair in our school, i've been asked to get it cut before cut a tiny bit off and came back in its really annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

My school has the above-collar thing also, last year I was made cut my hair and wasn't able to come in until I did so (unofficial suspension or whatever), so I did. New Vice principal this year, however, and he doesn't seem to mind, so...my hair is quite happy with this.

Oh, and I think LC'ers just tend to get away with more in general, that could be the reason also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

In my school journal there are rules about appearence, the one about hair is basically no unnatural colours (but peroxide blonde is allowed, actually most colours are, I haven't seen anyone made to dye theirs) At the beginning of the year we were told not to have any "outrageous" hairstyles...whatever that means...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

There is rules in my school but nobody takes notice really. I was told to get my hair cut a while back but never did and nothing has been said really.

In my experience, If you're "bold" and you've long hair or "outrageous", they'll tell you to get it cut but if you're a decent student, they won't hassle you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I died my hair Purple in second year and I had teachers complementing me even though it was blatantly against the rules in the journal.

theyre way harder on the guys in our school. if dey have long or dyed hair they are asked cut it. and the boarders ( our schools a boarding school!) get driven to the hair cutters by the princepal, or his wife. the girls have it easier we just cant have 'outlandish' colours!!!

hah so's mine (on the boarding school front) but theres day pupils too :)

ya we got day pupils too!!!

so do you go to Villers or something, judging from location

I do indeed!! uve heard of it?? wierd most people outside limerick havnt!!

yep I've heard of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

We got a new deputy principal this year, he has no problem with it but the old one did. My brother used to get a lot of hassle for having long hair, even though he would keep it tied back and neat for school. I've agreed to try out hairdyes for a survey with Clairol so before I put anything in (I had pink during the summer but dyed it blonde for school..) I asked our principal and he said he'd have no problem with it....I guess they feel the need to be consulted on these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 schroeder

does anybody know the constitutional position on this? seems like school shouldn't be able to deny education because of a persons appearance.

• Advertisement

hair has to be above the collar in mine for lads, but girls can have it as long or as short as they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

In ours you're not allowed "unnatural colours" or "Unnatural styles"...but last year a first year with pink hair got away with it till May!

Advertisement