Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-finishing guitar neck

Options
  • 21-09-2006 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I bought a new Martin D41 in the states last month.

Over the last 2 weeks air bubbles have started to form along the neck.

I rang Martin and they said that the finish needs to be re-done on the neck.

You'd think that a new guitar worth €4000 wouldn't suffer from this kind of sh1t.

Anyway....is there anywhere in Dublin (or Ireland) I could go to get this done, instead of shipping it back to the states, going through the whole customs routine etc etc etc

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

And why aren't Martin covering this under their warrantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

They said they will do it....but I'd have to send it back to them in the states (because I bought it there), it would take weeks, i'd be afraid of the guitar getting damaged in transit and the guitar would have to go through customs (which I might end up having to pay €700 to get it through customs!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If it's going through customs for repair it won't get taxed. You would need a letter confirming as much from Martin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

This cant be a unique situation for Martin. Are they going to pay for it to be shipped to/from them or to an authorised Martin repair centre in Europe? If not then their warranty is worthless ****, if so then you could put it to them that it would probably be cheaper for them if you got it fixed locally.
    Anyway, Derrick Nelson 4942741 is probably the guy you want working on a top end yoke like that.

PS I'm sure there is a way to send it to the US for repair without paying Customs but it would probably be a PIA. EDIT: What Dr J said.

Advertisement