Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese in Waterford

Options
  • 21-09-2006 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

personally i think its the one above the Uluru

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crazy2262

I would second that.

And the Uluru is a great Pub :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I like Johnny fans on High street....

If there is a worst I think its Maxim House its gone down hill. (take away) I got a Chicken curry in there a couple of months ago an there was Chips in it yuck!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

magick wrote:
    personally i think its the one above the Uluru

3rd that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Last time I was in the place over the Uluru I felt really cramped, like they were trying to fit in too many tables. Probably just a one off bad experience.

I'd go for the Kambo, although not technically a Chinese, I've always found it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

only tried kongs and thought that was good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I know it's not chinese but I really want to say Tuc Tuc Thai. :p

I've been to Johnny Fans and thought it was great. haven't been to the one over the Uluru but the Uluru is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Isnt the one over the uluru another of Johnny Fan's places ? Lovely place all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think the Uluru Chinese is fantastic but I'd have to give the award to the Happy Garden, mainly because their service is top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The Jade Palace I'd say. Not sure about take aways though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

for delivery it HAS to be the Treasure Inn.....their Ho Yu Gai Po is savage!

plus they are the only Chinese ive had in Waterford that isnt riddled with MSG

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

My favourite restaurant would be Jade Palace and take away would be Jumbos on Ballybricken - a No. 42 is heaven. Havn't been to the Ulluru yet but seems its worth trying.

For free delivery The Dragon Inn is nice. Their curry chips are lovely or their 3 in 1 which is half fried rice and half curry chip in one carton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Bards

I used to go to the Jade Palace quiet a bit until I had a run in with the manager I think(middle aged womain with blonde hair). It was last Summer, A nice Sunday evening and we decided to go in for a bite to eat. A family came in shortly after us and they took their seats.

This Family and ourselves ordered roughly at the same time. Both our starters arrived shortly afterwards....

The manager noticed that the family had not eaten anything while we on the other hand had finished ours.. They said they were waiting for A spring role and instead received a Prawn cocktail. she then proceeded to have an argument with them over the fact that they must be mistaken.

anyway she changed their order after a lot of hassle. When she came out with their starter she had two plates under her arm, literly holding them against herself and proceeded to the family table to give out to the little lad for playing under the table

I was gobsmacked when in a fit she took the plates from under her arm and plopped them down on our table and stormed off into the kitchen. Needles to say when she returned I asked for clean plates and told her that I didn't want plates from someone who had them under their armpit.

She tried to insist that she never did, but we both then started saying, hang on a minute either you give is new plates or we walk.

She then arrived with new plates and proceeded to give us the cutlery.. only holding the cutlery by her finger tips and saying someting sarcastically.

So all in all we didn't have a good time and haven't been back since.

Oh we didn't leave a tip either:mad:

Bards wrote:
    I used to go to the Jade Palace quiet a bit until I had a run in with the manager I think(middle aged womain with blonde hair). It was last Summer, A nice Sunday evening and we decided to go in for a bite to eat. A family came in shortly after us and they took their seats.

This Family and ourselves ordered roughly at the same time. Both our starters arrived shortly afterwards....

The manager noticed that the family had not eaten anything while we on the other hand had finished ours.. They said they were waiting for A spring role and instead received a Prawn cocktail. she then proceeded to have an argument with them over the fact that they must be mistaken.

anyway she changed their order after a lot of hassle. When she came out with their starter she had two plates under her arm, literly holding them against herself and proceeded to the family table to give out to the little lad for playing under the table

I was gobsmacked when in a fit she took the plates from under her arm and plopped them down on our table and stormed off into the kitchen. Needles to say when she returned I asked for clean plates and told her that I didn't want plates from someone who had them under their armpit.

She tried to insist that she never did, but we both then started saying, hang on a minute either you give is new plates or we walk.

She then arrived with new plates and proceeded to give us the cutlery.. only holding the cutlery by her finger tips and saying someting sarcastically.

So all in all we didn't have a good time and haven't been back since.

Oh we didn't leave a tip either:mad:

The only blonde woman I know there would be called Lucy and she's always sound out to anyone there. If it was her I'd be surprised and she must've been having a bad day!

I know that experience would put you off going back there and tbh if it happened to me I would've walking and not paying for my starter ;) either. Their food is lovely though and I much prefer upstairs in the restaurant rather than downstairs in the bar where some people get the early bird menu. Upstairs is so much more private and relaxing.

yes we were upstairs... I remember on another occasion a few years back I went there with my significant other.. booked a week in advance only there an hour (even less I think) and she wanted us to leave as she said that she had our table booked for someone else.

SO I think after that there is no way I am going back even though I adore the Salt & Pepper Prawns

I have my business lunches now in Johnny Fans on High Street and the last time I was there with friends, the manager offered us all an after dinner drink on the house.

I also frequent his daughter's (Laura) place above Uluru (Fan Dynasty).. the service there is top class too

Bards wrote:
    yes we were upstairs... I remember on another occasion a few years back I went there with my significant other.. booked a week in advance only there an hour (even less I think) and she wanted us to leave as she said that she had our table booked for someone else.

SO I think after that there is no way I am going back even though I adore the Salt & Pepper Prawns

I have my business lunches now in Johnny Fans on High Street and the last time I was there with friends, the manager offered us all an after dinner drink on the house.

I also frequent his daughter's (Laura) place above Uluru (Fan Dynasty).. the service there is top class too

Well I don't blame you for not going back. We were rushed out before too. I really have to try Johnny Fans. Hard to believe I've never tried there yet despite people saying if I try it I won't go back to the Jade. All this talk of chinese has made me very hungry.

I know this isn't chinese but what do you think of Eastenders on the Quay. We went there last year for the xmas meal and it was gorgeous. The food was lovely, the service was great and all in all a great restaurant. I opted for the medium madras which was very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do any of them do takeaways after midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

Baby4 wrote:
    And they do a take away service to Ballyhack accross the ferry.

Cool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

How does that work? They obviously must charge extra or do they have a deal with the ferry owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

well passage is on the waterford side, so it shouldnt be a prob though i dunno if they charge for delivery costs if its on the wexford side (though id say they get a deal with the lads who run the ferry) , passage east lovely village used to know a Polish girl there Agnus ,wonder if shes still there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

Well I don't blame you for not going back. We were rushed out before too. I really have to try Johnny Fans. Hard to believe I've never tried there yet despite people saying if I try it I won't go back to the Jade. All this talk of chinese has made me very hungry.

I know this isn't chinese but what do you think of Eastenders on the Quay. We went there last year for the xmas meal and it was gorgeous. The food was lovely, the service was great and all in all a great restaurant. I opted for the medium madras which was very tasty.

I ate in Eastenders once for Lunch.. about two years ago now.. found the service to be a bit slow for lunch, but the food was great:D

Advertisement