Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'P' Red Light Warning

Options
  • 21-09-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A 'P' (in an enclosed circle) has recently appeared on my dashboard. I have no manual as it was bought second hand.

It goes off when I press clutch to change gear, but comes back again after taking foot off the clutch.

Vehicle appears to be running smoothly.

Any ideas what the enclosed 'P' is for?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Culchie wrote:
    Hi,

A 'P' (in an enclosed circle) has recently appeared on my dashboard. I have no manual as it was bought second hand.

It goes off when I press clutch to change gear, but comes back again after taking foot off the clutch.

Vehicle appears to be running smoothly.

Any ideas what the enclosed 'P' is for?

what kind of car? sounds silly but it's not parking brake
    as in handbrake?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What sort of car is it? Make, model, year?

It sounds like it is your handbrake light. This light, on most cars, also doubles a brake system warning indicator. Usually it means that your brake fluid is low. If your car has hydraulic clutch then it is likely that everytime you press the clutch there is enough fluid being drawn from the reservoir to turn on the P light you describe.

So open the bonnet, locate the brake fluid reservoir and top it up if it is low - with the correct brake fluid. If the level is OK and the light still comes on then further investigation is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

Alert of low brake fluid in some (Possibly Ford IIRC) cars....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

leex wrote:
    Alert of low brake fluid in some (Possibly Ford IIRC) cars....
    Yeh happened me not so long ago(on a Ford).....every time I braked/accelerated (can't remember which) the light would flick on.....topped up the level and everythings grand now

Advertisement