Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Hurts Eircom . Eircom announces Bundles to defend their turf

Options
  • 21-09-2006 10:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Mind you they are crap bundles compared to BT but its a first for eircom to bundle LR/BB and calls. The BB is always on too, they are not pushing the timed crap.

With BT €45 will get you LR/1Mbit local national UK landline calls ANYTIME with one condition, you must hang up and redial after 59 minutes .

With eircom €50 will get you LR/1Mbit and unlimited local national calls OFFPEAK , so Anytime is highly misleading as a product description is it not ??? ,

its another €5 for peak too, no UK calls included.

This eircom package is not available to existing customers either as I understand it at present .

Nor is eircom offering any 3mbit bundles, 1mbit and 2mbit variants only.

More here

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/pending.pdf

There is a call cap too !
    (Eircom) may in its absolute discretion withdraw the eircom talktime bundle ....from all or any customers

12 Month contract not 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Mind you they are crap bundles [/I]

Not a very appealing offer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I won't be recommending those bundles to anyone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EircomAgent

actually, current customers can avail of the "Bundles" but they have to ring up. e.g if a customer is already on BB hs and TT afterhhours, they have to ring Eircom and get the package put on their account, their bb contract will also reset to 12 months from the day they order the package and its put on their account, they will bring out a 3mb bundle once they see how the first two get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks for that clarification O Agent.

By availing of this bundle the customer will lock themselves into eircom for 12 months AND will benefit from a substantial discount off their current bills which is a good thing BUT I am still concerned at the fact that

a) eircom locks the customer into the 12 Month contract , not 6 months like a normal BB contract, and

b) can then unilaterally withdraw the calls bundle portion of that DURING the 12 months but leave the customer locked into BB and Line rental all the same , your thoughts would be appreciated on item B , does the contract as a whole void if eircom withdraw part of it (calls) .

Hey Sponge Bob,

We only got trainging on it Friday, believe it or not, but the contract is for the BB,

After hours is 29.99 (including Line Rental)
    BB Homestarer is 24.99

Totaling €54.98

you only save a fiver, but they are marketing it as you still pay 29.99 for the call pakage and only 19.99 for the bb so the contract is with the bb not the calls, they cant put you on a contract for your calls.
    Same goes for the other package.

• Advertisement

It struck me tha the contract should stand on the bundle itself not an element of it , can you see my point about locking someone into a 12 month bundle and voiding part of it but not the whole . I would think _personally_ that if an element of a contract is withdrawn then the whole is withdrawn.

Anyway thats an issue for those tossers in Comreg not for the ordinary CS on the front line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sponge Bob wrote:
    a) eircom locks the customer into the 12 Month contract , not 6 months like a normal BB contract, and
    BT's broadband and calls bundles are also 12 month contracts.

The Minimum Period for Broadband & Total Talk means the minimum period of one year commencing on the date on which the Broadband & Total Talk Charges begin to apply in accordance with clauses 3, 4 and 5 above.

(That's way down at the end, 3 paragraphs from the bottom, under the heading "Additional Terms and Conditions applicable to Broadband & Total Talk"

Thanks Sponge bob,

But Bt cannot withdraw _part_ of the deal Foxwood, eg calls, and leave you locked into the rest .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/pending.pdf

Scroll down 4 pages of the PDF. the €59.99 is for TalkTime anytime + 2mB BBand. That is - "eircom broadband home plus + Talktime Anytime". Doesnt appear to be any limits here. [ Unless further down ]. The talktime afterhours would have limits - this is €5 less or so.

Still cheaper than both seperately anyway?

Cheers
    Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

With BT €45 will get you LR/1Mbit local national UK landline calls ANYTIME with one condition, you must hang up and redial after 59 minutes .

With eircom €50 will get you LR/1Mbit and unlimited local national calls OFFPEAK , so Anytime is highly misleading as a product description is it not ???

With Smart €45 will get you LR/4Mbit and local, national & UK landline calls ANYTIME with one condition, you must hang up and redial after 59 minutes.

No-one's hurting eircom or BT at that rate, otherwise people would be queueing up to get the faster speed for the same price, and both BT and eircom would have 2 choices: speed up the offering at the same price, or offer the sub-standard offering at a lower price.

Neither of them are doing that, so they're obviously happy enough with the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Norfork Nights

So does this mean that I can sign up to eircom 3mb broadband then afterwards sign up for bundles ?

probably yes. 6 month contract for BB on its own and 12 months if you go bundle later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Though with others cheaper on the same infrastructure why?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

watty wrote:
    Though with others cheaper on the same infrastructure why?

Probably because of the incompetency of BT's billing.

I signed both my parents and my sister up to BT's BB + Phone + unlimited calls packages a few months ago and it led to massive incorrect bills from BT and weeks of stress and pain on the phone to BT to sort it out.

Imagine this, my parents, retired (and get free line rental) and their bill for the first 2 months comes in at over €300!!!! My parents nearly have a heart attack, normally they don't pay this much for a whole years worth of phone service. BT STEAL the money from my parents bank account. After weeks of stress BT finally sort it out and give us credit :mad:

BT might be cheaper, but they aren't worth the hassle. Given all the trouble they have caused my parents and sister, I simply can't recommend them to family, friends or colleagues. Because of that I can guarantee that it has already cost BT a lot of business.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Christ, BT still haven't sorted out their billing issues?

Not good at all from such a big company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TripletKids

Just one comment ...

The reference to..... you must hang up and redial after 59 minutes.
    should be .......you must hang up before 59 minutes and redial

Advertisement