Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test in 4 weeks Licence expires in 2 Weeks!

Options
  • 21-09-2006 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

I applied for the driving test in August last year. Finally got the letter today to say that the test will be on 19th October. Great news! Then I looked at my current licence (my first provisional) and I see that it expires on 7th October!!
    Does anyone know how long it takes to get the second provisional?
    Also, can I apply for the second before my first expires?

The fact that I'll have to send my licence in to get my new one means I won't be able to practice so I'll more than likely have to apply again. But, no worries, it'll only take a year and two months before my next test comes swinging round again!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Call your local motor tax office straight away - I'm sure they'll sort you out if you explain the situation to them. I know licenses can be issued on a next-day basis if you can prove a good reason. Going on holidays qualifies, so I'd imagine your situation would too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This happened me except my lisence was due to expire the day before the test!! Bring the letter with your test into the tax office and show it to them and they will do it for you so you will have it before your test!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Go into the motor tax office with all the paperwork and ask them to do it there and then. The motor tax office in county hall in cork used to process all licences there and then for people who went in in person, not sure if they still do. If they can do it, so can everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KidMalicious

Hi there,

I've asked in the garda station you can send in your licence and keep driving (I photo copied mine) then they said if I was stopped that you tell them your licence is in for renewal and show them the photo copy they may still ask you to produce your licence at a station when you get it back...

I was fine I didn't get stopped

And you can also apply for a new licence as the other is about to expire, you don't have to wait for it to expire

Best of luck in the test - I got a date for mine and I have to say I don't think I'm even going to bother sitting it I've only been driving a few months even tho I'm on my third provisional (kept getting the licences and not learning how to drive, lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Nutgrove tax office have processed lots of licenses on the spot for people in the Churchtown driving test centre area. I sent someone there 2 hours before their test when they turned up for a pre-test with an out of date license.
    Take in your letter stating the date of your test and ask nicely and they should do it for you straight away. If they keep your existing license and say they will post it out (they say they will process and return in 5 working days) get a receipt and this will suffice for your practise driving.

Good luck in the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement